Whoopsie?

Was just perusing the latest copy of Wiring Matters and noticed in the Earthing: Your Questions Answered article that in Fig.6 a TT installation is provided with a *whole-house* RCD.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I take it you mean that was the only RCD (i.e. no downstream ones, and it was not a high trip current / time delay type)?

Reply to
John Rumm

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:15:51 +0100, Owain scrawled:

Nothing wrong with that, possibly. Could be that all the socket outlets are of the integral RCD variety.

Reply to
Lurch

The only RCD shown, and type not specified (in the diagram, or text)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or it might be a simple installation of a first floor flat, not absolutely requiring socket RCD(s).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

It would still mean an earth fault on the socket circuit would take out all the lights. IMHO this would contravene

130-02-01 All equipment shall be ...installed .. so as to prevent danger as far as is reasonably practicable. 314-01-01 Every installation shall be divided into circuits as necessary to: (i) avoid danger in the event of a fault, and (ii) facilitate safe operation, testing and maintenance.

and

314-01-02 A separate circuit shall be provided for each part of the installation which needs to be separately controlled for compliance with the Regulations *or otherwise* to prevent danger, so that such circuits remain energised in the event of failure of any other circuit of the installation, and *due account shall be taken of the consequences of the operation of any single protective device*.

from and copyright IEE Wiring Regulations Sixteenth Edition 1991. [* my emphasis *]

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Whilst I take your point, if you extend it on it leads to the conclusion that the only compliant installation would have RCBO on all final circuits?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Or groups of circuits. Although in commercial premises where lighting serves eg designated means of escape or areas with moving machinery, then if RCD protection is required there is I think a case for RCBOs.

Mandating RCBOs for new installations would almost certainly save more lives than Part P.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What does part P mean? :-)

Dave

You do not have to answer this :-)

Reply to
Dave

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 22:21:12 +0000 (UTC), Dave scrawled:

Fuck up.

Reply to
Lurch