Whistling windows

So our windows have started whistling, actually more of a hum, and I can't work out where it's coming from.

The windows are UPC fitted two years ago. They're still under warranty so I can get the supplier to come back and fix it but I need to be able to identify the problem because you can bet the wind won't be blowing the day I get them back. I can't work out whether there is a draft coming around the frame or through the frame or whether it's around the glass panel or what. Several windows do it and one was doing it while the light was open so it can't be a seal on the light. Another does it in a corner of the frame where there is no light (edge of a bay window) so I'm thinking it's something to do with the frame but I've tried sealing around the frame inside and out and it's still doing it. I'm running out of ideas. The problem didn't exist initially and seems to have got worse so I'm think that some sealant used by the fitters is drying out and no longer seals. But where?

Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Reply to
Peter Robinson

Because they have forgotten the words. I'm off now.

Reply to
Old Git

Beat me to it :-)

Shall I get your coat?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Run a candle around it and see where the flame flickers?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

do these windows have some of those UPVC "cover up bodge leave looking tidy" trim panels, interior window cills etc around them in and/or outside??

-could wind be getting in somehow and vibrating these parts? upvc cills are "honeycombed" inside (in a simple cheapo way) leaving lots of air spaces etc that may be capable in the right conditions of vibrating/humming ...

You would still need to find where that wind is getting in to get to them tho...

Have you had cavity wall insulation done since the windows?? anything else in their vicinity changed? seems odd that this should start 2 years on .....

JimK

Reply to
JimK

Power supply or noisy hard drive ?

I know, the doors over there ---------->

Mart.

Reply to
martop

I had exactly this in a holiday house, after about 2 years. Very exposed windy site. Took me ages to track down, and it was very fine gaps on the outside, between the UPC and the reveals (rendered), which had opened up with slight movement.

The builder had filled the angles, but there was no gap initially so it easily pulled away leaving a gap of maybe half a mm. Enough to whistle in the wind, and difficult to track down since it was distributed over long lengths.

Solution was easy: hang out the window with a gun of builder's silicone and fill around all the edges of every window frame. Then, peace!

Hope this might help?

Reply to
gordon

gordon wibbled on Thursday 07 January 2010 23:21

It's amazing what a 1-2mm gap will do. Earlier this year, I wedged an old door into a new doorway (no time to procure a proper door and we haven't really decided what types of door, budgets etc).

It was a quick and dirty fit that took all of 20 minutes. Down in a couple of places, there was a 1-3mm gap and the wind didn't half come through and we're not exactly exposed here. The old front door is warped and loose in its frame too - same problem. 5 minutes with a silicone gun and 5 mins with a reel of draught rubber made much more of a difference than I was expecting. Luckily most of the windows are good quality ali DG and 2 of the

3 that weren't I've replaced with uPVC so no problems there.
Reply to
Tim W

One way of stopping this was to prevent the exit from the house of the air that comes in from the whistling windows. In my case it always stopped when the front the inside front door was closed, there is an outside front door which seals well. A look at the draught proofing on the door revealed I had not put it on very well the second time - taken off for painting- stupid idea.. This was given a tighter fit. Now if I hear whistling I close the inside front door which is often left by omission slightly ajar

Reply to
remove y

That's a good idea. I'll try it. Thanks

Reply to
Peter Robinson

Yes there are trim panels on the outside but not inside as we told them not to fit any. They used sealant only around the inside.

I have already been around the outside of the three worst windows with sealant and, although it might be a bit better (difficult to know because it varies so much depending on the wind) it hasn't stopped it. I've also put more sealant around the inside of one window but, again, it hasn't stopped it.

On three windows where I've been able to identify the general area it's coming from, it's always been at the top of the window so I don't think it's the cills. And, no, nothing else has been done since.

Reply to
Peter Robinson

I'm still thinking it's gaps that have opened up but, having re-sealed around some of the windows without stopping it I'm not 100% convinced.

Reply to
Peter Robinson

I'm sure there are plenty other possible causes, but I remember that the sound was very penetrating and can travel a long way!

Reply to
gordon