Whistling Chimney

Hi

The chimney in my bedroom whistles quites loudly when there's a strong wind. As the fireplace is boarded up, keeping the top open for ventilation is not an issue. Can i buy something like a chimney cap? Whatever i need, is it relatively easy to fix/attach?

cheers

Daljit

Reply to
daljit1968

Oh yes it is. You must keep a flue ventilated to stop damp problems either from rain/snow/WHY getting in the top or condensation. Even with a proper cap you need to maintain some ventilation. I suspect the whistling is due to air being drawn through small gaps around the boarding up. A proper air vent shouldn't do this.

Yes and yes. Most just drop into the top of the existing pot and just need a bit of mortar around to seal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There are various types of chimney cap - although most still have ventilation holes because it's important to ventilate the stack even though it's not being used. The heavyweight terracotta caps just plonk on the top!

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

The chimney should be ventilated - boarding up without fitting a vent is bad practice.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I had this problem. Found it to be the tv/vhf ariel. Wind direction and strength caused vibration. Solved by fitting a circular vhf ariel.

Reply to
Maurice Hood

Many people just shove and old pillow up there.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So how does the washing powder help?

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Silly. It's a shakespearian nature spirit innit?

Noisy buggers they are.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Of course... Explains it all. :-)