Which plastic pipe?

I am going to add some new radiators to my partially central-heated house and am seriously considering using plasticbarrier pipe. I am confused as to which is better PE-X or PB as there is a considerable price difference between the two. I don't wish to start a shouting match between posters (as often seems to happen when opinions are asked for) but I would like some practical advice. Cheers, Ken

Reply to
NotMe

Non-barrier is oxygen permeable. It _might_ be suitable for some underfloor use, where everything in the heating circut is plastic or stainless. In normal heating systems the problem is that the oxygen gets in through the pipe, and destroys the inhibitor by oxidising it. Then the oxidised water corrodes the radiators and possibly the boiler too, as well as bits flaking off and sticking in things.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hep2O which is PB I think and is easier to use IME.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I thought that Hep2o came in 2 versions - only one of which is barrier - so you need to get the right variety.

JG Speedfit pipe, on the other hand, *only* comes as a barrier pipe.

Reply to
Roger Mills

In message , Roger Mills writes

True, but IME it's normally the barrier pipe that is sold by default.

however, evidence is it seems that this is much overated, and the real ingress of oxygen across non-barrier pipe is low.

Reply to
chris French