Which magnetic dish for home mechanic?

> What I'd like 'cos I left mine behind when I stopped working, is a > magnetic dish to keep bits in. Splendid device. > >
=1 3203> >

In another thread Guy King and "Mr 6" kindly recommended a magnetic dish as a good tool for someone who fixes cars at home.

I looked about and saw there were quite a few different magnetic dishes available. Now I'm confused!

Is the simple Draper magnetic bowl (MPT) good enough or is it worth gping for one which is larger or one which ismade of stainless steel or one which works vertically?

DRAPER BOWLS AND TRAYS models MPT, MPT/2 and MPT4:

VERTICAL MAGNETIC TRAY models MPT6, etc
SEALEY MAGNETIC COLLECTORS several models AK231X
Screwfix:
(Is this by Sealey?)

Reply to
Susan P

The message from Susan P contains these words:

As far as I know they'll all work vertically. I'd go for the larger unless it's unreasonably expensive. Stainless is always a good idea.

Reply to
Guy King

Personally, I would be overjoyed to receive the simple Draper MPT - Draper are a highly reputable brand, which shows that you've put a lot of thought into this, and not just gone to the local "pound shop".

The angled MPT3 is tempting, but I just know that I would try to lob things into it which, with my dodgy hand-to-eye co-ordination, would end up with even more bits and pieces getting lost than now!

Stephen Leak.

One ring spanner to rule them all ...

Reply to
Stephen Leak

They're all stainless, they're all magnetic, and nowadays they nearly all have a scratch resistant base. Just get one.

Alternatively they're the worst things ever invented (for long-term projects) and encourage sloppy working and leaving parts lying around indefinitely. A pack of ziploc freezer bags and a marker pen is a much better habit to get into.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The message from "Stephen Leak" contains these words:

Dance then, wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the Rings, said he.

(there, that's an earworm for you)

Reply to
Guy King

Stephen Leak ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Draper is the brand that our local DIY shop tends to fill their "Half Price Offer!" bins with... It *used* to be a very reputable brand, but it's not quite so blue-chip any more.

A magnetic bowl is a magnetic bowl, though...

Reply to
Adrian

Susan P wrote in news:Xns987BCE7F5F4F3D5E712@

127.0.0.1:

All I can add, is I wish my wife thought like you. A magnetic dish would save her from standing beside my car as I ask for a tool from underneath it. :-)

Reply to
Tunku

"Andy Dingley " wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

I'm not going to get in the habit of storing car parts in the freezer for anyone, although I have been known to use the oven and dishwasher for car related work. For some reason, the wife isn't too keen on that though.

Reply to
Tunku

I can no longer play vinyl, so the old Corries albums are safe in the loft for now :-}

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "shazzbat" saying something like:

The thought of the cast of Corrie doing Lord of the Dance fills me with dread.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.

Reply to
Guy King