Which energy supplier to get isolator switch fitted FOC

I like the 100A fused incomer and the 40A max rated meter!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I think the carrier comes with a 100A sticker, without any fuse fitted, so you'd need to pull it to be sure ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's the older REC2, as for the tails you would have to wait for a strip out.

Reply to
ARW

At hiding things, he cannot do a two way switch.

He hid it in the loft under the insulation right in the eaves.

Reply to
ARW

A carpet blade on a Stanley knife worked really well for getting the grout out. Opened up, and found 5 (five!) cables in the backbox. Ring main, one spur, and who knows what for the other two cables crimped together.

Tried to replace socket but my only spare had L and N reversed, and not enough slack in the wires. So put the old one back together, tightened up carefully, and gave it one more go. Only this time, the nearest thing was the sandwich toaster (more current). Whoops. That was stupid. Not crackling so much as smoking. Not good.

Turn off, disassemble, identify the socket as the smokey bit, replace socket with my spare and L&N swapped (it's now 10pm, so not much choice) and stick dire warnings about reversed polarity on the front about using it. Disassemble old socket, yup, the switch has something in it. Probably carbonised spider or something.

Starting to feel I might need to get the DB with RCDs sorted out before January. Not that it does much for burnt out switches, but still.

Puzzling over what to do about the 2.5mm T&E running outside feeding the annex, the shed, the ponds, the summerhouse, and eventually what I want to be the workshop - 50 metres away! Evidence of using hosepipe as conduit. I haven't had time to look at how many sequential RCD sockets are involved, but the answer is both not enough and too many.

I haven't done the sums yet, and I'm not planning on running anything more powerful than a drill for a good while, but I suspect I'll need to disconnect the bits where the cable runs underground anyway, on the grounds that it's almost certainly not been done properly and is a code 2, before I sort out the DB..

Reply to
ben