Which Drill for RSJ ?

I bought a 12mm bit but it went blunt - probably because my drill was too fast.

So I need to buy a corded drill which will go slowly, got 8 more holes to drill in the RSJ. And a new bit.

a Titan or Erbauer or mcallister from Screwfix?

Anybody know which goes slowest?

Or would it be OK to use my battery drill ?

George

Reply to
George Miles (dicegeorge

I's suggest you try decent cobalt bits, and do it in stages, starting small and working up to 12mm, lubricating the bit as you go.

Reply to
RJH

You want an SDS drill - maybe the refurb Erbauer one.

Are you sure about drilling 9 large holes in an RSJ? Will it still work as an RSJ after that? Are you hitting rebar and drilling through it? This is scary stuff if there's any weight on the RSJ.

Reply to
GB

Sorry, I assumed a concrete RSJ. Maybe, you should say what it's made of.

Reply to
GB
<snip>

Rolled Steel Joist?

Reply to
Clive Arthur

While my drill could probably go this slow, I don't know if it would like a lot of force applied to the bit while doing so. The battery drill might have more torque than my old drill can manage.

"How to drill through steel beams..."

That suggests pushing the cutting rate, and making the drill bit tip red hot, is what is killing the bits.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Yes even my old B/DO with two gears and a variable speed on the trigger can drill that type of steel etc. It just needs a lot of patience. I often chuckled when people said, it can't be blunt its HSS. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You are probably right, but people do use RSJ to refer to any type of joist. :)

Reply to
GB

RSJs are usually fairly easy to drill. Any drill that has the torque will work, but 12mm needs quite quite a lot of torque if you try in one go. Use cutting oil (although any oil is better than none) and make sure you use decent, sharp, drill bits - not Chinesium. Re bits: DeWalt "extreme for metal" are excellent but quite aggressive - probably worth the investment for this job. Alternatively, start small and work through the stages to get to 12mm, or use a step drill.

Reply to
nothanks

Battery drill will be fine. If you use a bit of cutting oil, and to make life easier drill in steps - go through with a 1/4" first, then open it up to 1/2". Keep plenty of pressure on the bit so that it keeps cutting.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nope, not for drilling a steel RSJ.

Reply to
farter

RSJ = Rolled Steel Joist. Fukinada

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No they don't.

If its a concrete lintel they call it a concrete lintel. its an old oak joist they call it an old oak joist.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Every time I see someone drilling an RSJ on grand designs, they seem to be using one that sticks hard to what is being drilled with a powerful magnet. Are these hireable ?

Reply to
Andrew

Only the clueless ! (and they are UB's or UC's these days anyway and have a different profile compared to the RSJ of decades past.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes, but I wouldn't have thought it was worth doing so for 12mm holes

Reply to
nothanks

I was in steelwork for most of my working life and it was always called RSJ for Rolled Steel Joist Channel for Rolled Steel Channel Angle Iron for Rolled steel angle Stanchions for vertical steel uprights (in a building) Girders for horizontal steel beams etc

Reply to
Rob H

+1
Reply to
Rob H

Use either a cobalt or HSS drill. I've drilled many a hole in steel.

Reply to
Rob H

Err, no you don't, SDS drill are for drilling concrete not steel!

Reply to
Rob H