Which Consumer Unit?

Looking for a budget consumer unit to replace a messy set up in a flat that I am planning to sell very soon. Ideally I am after a 9-way split board (4+5 split).

I came across those two complete boxes:

&
are 12-way, but unless I can find a 9-way I am happy with a 12-way.

In view of my above considerations, is there any reason for me to spend the extra £20 for the Wylex, or would the Volex do just as good a job?

Reply to
NotMe

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:14:04 -0000, "NotMe" strung together this:

12 way would be cheaper as they are generally what are mass supplied as 'specials'. Some wholesalers do 10 ways as 'specials' with all the MCBs etc...

I'd say Wylex out of the two, but if you're selling the place soon then the Volex will do the job. I'd still go for the Wylex though as I hate faffing around with cheap kit.

Reply to
Lurch

I've used that Volex CU and there's nothing at all wrong with it. I wouldn't regard Volex as cheap kit, they've been around for years and I've used all manner of their products without problem.

Reply to
Doctor D

Thanks for that - Volex it is then.

Reply to
NotMe

Volex do just as good a job?

I have just purchased one of these CU's from screwfix for a job I've got to do soon. It looks fine to me. The only thing I might have a look at is that the main live link from the 100A isolator over to the RCD switch seems a bit weedy considering that it will carry the greater part of the load and also it is routed under the metal din rail. I'd have preferred it to be a slightly more substantial bit of cable and have it routed along the inner lower edge of the box,up the inner right hand edge and into the CB,thus keeping it out of the way of the metal din rail and a pre-installed neutral link bar...comments..?

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

I bought a split load Crabtree one off Ebay recently at a 'buy it now' price way below the normal trade one. Choice of MCBs too. Very pleased with it - super easy to install.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The ratings for very short lengths of cable aren't the same as the normal ones - think fuses. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

quite frankly, if these are internal cables that came with the box and there isn't an officially sanctioned upgrade, I'd leave very well alone.

If the CU is rated for 100A then the design will have passed the relevant BS certification to operate at this load, so it should not be a problem. If the job's for yourself then all well and fine - you make your decision, if it's a bad 'un then you've got to live with the consequences, that's your choice. If it's a job for someone else, then if I were you I'd fit off-the-shelf without any mods at all & then you can show due diligence in that you've selected fittings based upon compliance with a certain BS & done nothing that could invalidate it.

YMMV

Reply to
RichardS

Yes,thinking about it,both you and David are of course right. Maybe i have a tendancy to want things overengineered...

For interest there is a picture here

of the internals of the Volex 6+6 Split load CU currently on offer at screwfix direct

reason for suggesting a change of cable was also because as the cable passes behind the din bar,it passes between the DIN bar and the lower neutral bar. I was just thinking long term whether there might be a potential for chafing or a direct short....

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Chafing only can occur with movement. Shouldn't be any within a CU. But you could always slit some sleeving and fit it where it passes the buss if it really concerns you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)