Which Chimney?

Is there any logic to which fireplace connects to which chimney? I live in a 6 storey house from about 1860 (which I don't consider very, very old...). On the gable wall, there are two stacks with 6 chimneys each. I think the arrangement is

_|1:3:5:6:4:2|_/\_|2:4:6:5:3:1|_

where 1 is the basement and 6 the top floor. Is this the "normal" arrangement?

regards, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Do you have a working fireplace connected to the chimney? Otherwise, if not capped off, you might try a fog machine. Or a hoover-bag full of dust, and the hoover on 'blow'. If you can get to the top, then a radio placed in the fireplace will be audible through one.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

All sorts of arrangements are possible. You'll need to test to see what is actually used.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

In article , Andrew writes

Err, light a fire and observe the smoke?.

Reply to
tony sayer

well, eleven fires one after the other?

Reply to
OldScrawn

Half the chimney pots could be ventilators, each one matching a live pot and providing incoming air near each fire. Apparently often papered over 'to stop draughts' in old houses.

Reply to
Tony Williams

Reminds me of an old "Broons"[1] cartoon ... The chimney sweeps were round and the twins were asking Pa how the identified the right chimney... Pa Broon demonstrated by kneeling down in-front if his fireplace and shouts up "Helllllloooooooo"... And 5 seconds later gets covered in soot!

Gordon

[1] The Broons are a large Scottish family living in a Tenement area of Glasgow - in comic book format, at any rate. Published every week in the Sunday Post... Maybe still is, I don't know. Not lived in Gods country or bought a copy of the Sunday Post for many years now, alas...
Reply to
Gordon Henderson

The breasts must be huge. ;-)

Reply to
Chris Lawson

A little over 450 million, I believe.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You've always wanted to say that publicly haven't you?

;-)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

About the only thing I would be sure is that that the higher floors will be in the centre of each group. By carefully measuring the chimney breasts and the position of the builders openings you might be able to deduce weather left or right has the more chimneys passing through on each floor.

Lighting a/some smoke pellet(s) would be the certain way easier than a fire in each place.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

In message , OldScrawn writes

smoke pellets