Which cement mix ?

On the gable ends of my bungalow the roof tiles are bedded on a cement fillet which is extensively cracked and bits have fallen out in places. I would imagine that I should rake out the loose bits and replace with a cement mix of some kind. What type of cement mix should it be? should it have some flexibility or fibres mixed in it? What kind of paint should be used to protect it after it cures. Any advice gratefully received. Tom

Reply to
Tom

1:3 Cement mortar. No additives. Use as little water as you can, it has to "stand up" and not slump.

-- Olav Marjasoo Overlooking the Clyde, West Coast of Scotland

Reply to
Olav Marjasoo

Did this very job on my gables last year The roofer said use a weak mortar mix. with as little water as you can-do not add plasticer-use anything to get the colour right I suspect dirty grey. I used-ash-soot-the kids water based paint-finally astronomically expensive cement colouring in powder form.All appear to have worked-18 months later. Use a very small trowel to force the mortar mix into the gaps.dont put to much in at once its better to let it set and go back again rather than make a mess.If you make the mistake of getting dried cement on the trowel and it wont come off get a new one.

Reply to
tom patton

In other words, if you don't clean your tools after doing the job....

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

No need - tap it on something hard to remove any loose bits, then soak it in brick acid and scrub it with a wire brush.

Reply to
Rob Morley