Which boiler to buy, reliable - nowt fancy....

Our electric bills at work were sky high last year with electric heaters plugged in around the place, and we've no hot water without boiling kettles so...
Which boiler would you buy? Something 20odd KW, no bells and whistles.
On 07/09/2019 13:47, R D S wrote:

How long do you expect to be there?
If the answer is less than 5 years, then go for whatever is cheap / on offer. For something longer term, then one of the more recognisable brands like WB, Vaillant etc. Unless you are fitting it yourself, it might just come down to whatever the proffered offering of the installer it.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 07/09/2019 14:00, John Rumm wrote:

I'll fit it and should the need arise fix it myself.
Are the better brands worth it in this scenario? I don't want something breaking down all the time but don't need it bombproof.
I might be pushing luck but I've had nearly 25 years out of 2 sub £500 boilers at home without too much bother. (A Savio and a Biasi Riva)

I have a *young* Potterton precision boiler, done about 3 years work now sat on a pallet, looking for a home.
Yours for fetching (Herts.) plus filter and new flue.
--
Tim Lamb

On 07/09/2019 15:07, Tim Lamb wrote:

Sadly you'd be about an 8 hour round trip and i'm not sure I could fit that in in the near future.
But cheers.

OK. Worth a try. It was a BG installed replacement for the cottage and then too small for the expected load when we extended.
Not many d-i-y folk willing to do a gas boiler install.
--
Tim Lamb

I did one in 1988, boiler still going strong.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Did both of mine. It's only plumbing, after all. And some wiring.
--
*You can't teach an old mouse new clicks *

If the latest one was a condenser, how did you check the flue gases ?.

It does it automatically. Flu gas analyser. Don't most these days?
But it's hardly expensive to have it checked after installation.
--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

On Monday, 9 September 2019 14:11:49 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

The key thing is to follow the manufacturer's instructions fully. If a flue gas analysis isn't part of the detailed installation and commissioning instructions, then it isn't. For these Viessmanns, it wasn't.
On 10/09/2019 09:23, David wrote:

ISTR on mine there was a statement along the line of "No need to do a gas analysis, we have set this up right and tested it already, don't fiddle with it!" (although more Teutonic obviously).
I think more recent versions of the installation instructions now say: do a gas analysis, but talk to Vaillant tech support if anything is wrong.
--
Cheers,

John.

I dunno if it's been replaced by some auto system now, but when I did my install, the tech help was superb. From an actual human on the phone. And I made it clear it was a DIY install. (Only thing I needed help with was adding the mods for weather compensation)
--
*Learn from your parents' mistakes - use birth control

I dunno why so many are frightened of doing a self install. Assuming they already have half decent plumbing skills. It generally saves a great deal of money - far more than most DIY tasks that take the same sort of time.
And, of course, with a system boiler it's a great deal simpler than at one time. Mine took longer as the flow share valve was originally on the hot water cylinder. On the opposite side of the room. And I changed from open vented to sealed. Just swapping a like for like design, much easier.
--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

On 08/09/2019 14:45, Tim Lamb wrote:

The pump will be seized?
--
Adam

Pass. I emptied out the water but inevitably there will be some residue from wall hung steel radiators. Not a problem with plastic pipe underfloor heating:-)

--
Tim Lamb

On 08/09/2019 13:11, R D S wrote:

There are pallet collection services that will go pickup stuff like that for you...
--
Cheers,

John.

I'm game. Without an exact from/to address the first one I looked refused to quote. Somewhere between 25 and 100ukp.

--
Tim Lamb

On Sunday, 8 September 2019 17:24:51 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:

£50 is typical for not too much on the pallet.
NT
On Saturday, 7 September 2019 14:13:42 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

00

Vaillant & Worcester Bosch are the only relatively reliable ones. I wouldn' t fit anything else. A second hand one might be worth considering.
For curiosity's sake only, there are Chinese boilers that cost under £ 100. From what I can tell they appear to be flueless, judging by the cautio n not to use them too long or they'll kill you. I'm not recommending one :)
25 year old boilers are a very different design to new ones. No new one is likely to last that well.
NT