where to start in welding

Junior wants to tackle welding. What would be his best/easiest way to start ?
On 04/08/16 14:35, fred wrote:

Small by decent Mig welder.
I taught myself fairly quickly and a small unit will manage 2mm steel and 4-5mm if you "V" grind the joint and do more than one pass.
The most important/irritating thing is wire feed. Some cheap units are rough and sticky. Smooth feed is essential and more important than most of the other attributes.
The other is gas - I got a baby industrial CO2 cylinder - not the throw-away ones. Very economical and lasts forever. But not too big to be a pain to store or lug around - couple of feet long IIRC, but otherwise heavy and proper. You need to hire this and buy a regulator.

Tomes that were recommended on this group in the dim and distant past: Practical Welding S. Gibson 978-0-333-60957-6 Farm and workshop welding Andrew Pearce 978-1-905523-30-6
--
Nick (=----)

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 06:35:14 -0700, fred wrote:

These days you need to define what junior means by "welding" as it's massively expanded as a field over the past 40 years when there was essentially just gas and stick (arc). Hopefully junior will be happy to learn stick as it's the cheapest route so if he gets fed up with it you won't suffer too much pocket-burn.
On 8/4/2016 3:44 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:

+1. While there is much to be said for gasless MIG as others have suggested (and which is what I have), things like MAPP gas get you into gas welding but also silver soldering which is, for many things (steam engines, bike frames?) a more useful technique. Not too difficult to migrate from MAPP to Oxy Acetylene and that takes you into a world of new possibilities (car restoration for example). Or demolition which is probably a growth industry, with all these coal fired power stations to get rid of. (As an aside, I havn't seen any discussion of whether the cause of the boiler house collapse at Didcot Power Station has been established yet).
The other standard advice used to be Evening Classes, I've no idea if these still exist.
The Welding Institute (TWI at Abington, near Cambridge) used to do some good VHS training videos at not silly prices. But these days I guess everything you might need is on YouTube somewhere.
On Thursday, 4 August 2016 16:35:52 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

gas welding
What can you weld with MAPP?
On 8/4/2016 9:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

I was thinking about this sort of thing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/281812046022?lpid 2&chn=ps&googleloc07129&poi=&campaignidb0865095&device=c&adgroupid'378760866&rlsatarget=pla-181484354226&adtype=pla&crdt=0
but doing a bit more research it does not seem to have many devotees for welding. I had been under the impression that it was similar to OA, only slightly cooler, but it doesn't seem to give such an effective reducing flame.
I'd still go back to the first point. It all depends on what sort of things the lad wants to make. So the right answer might be stick, MIG (normal or gasless), TIG, or OA. My point about MAPP / oxygen is that it is a relatively cheap way into gas if you are interested in small scale stuff. And I would still say that silver soldering might be the right way to start: getting used to controlling temperatures and seeing the way molten metal behaves without having your workpiece disappear before your eyes.
The other big recommend for MIG is to get a self darkening helmet.

Crikey. Not known of anyone who uses Oxy Acetylene on car bodywork for ages. Too much risk of warping. MIG is still the common way.
--
*My wife has a slight impediment in her speech. She stops to breathe.

On 8/5/2016 1:15 AM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Perhaps I am out of date. Mind you, I don't think anyone could have repaired some of the rusty heaps I used to drive using MIG, but it was a joy to watch my expert mate doing it with OA.
On 8/4/2016 3:44 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:

agree .... learn stick, mig has its benefits, but a good grounding in stick welding is the way to go.

A lot of juniors would say 'do you know any celebs that weld? Forget it then. I'm not lowering myself to that.'
NT
On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 12:21:44 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You could reply Billy Connolly who was a boilermaker though he may be too old to be a Celeb to a 16 year old. Possibly Nicholas Parsons as well , despite his somewhat cultured presentation his parents insisted he took an apprenticeship in engineering so he spent the war years in Glasgow at a pump factory doing so.
G.Harman
On Monday, 8 August 2016 23:20:01 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

And of course Mr. Dibnah. And that annoying twonk Guy Martin. I'm glad I haven't watched tv in years.
NT

Annoying he might be, but he has a certain amount of technical knowledge and plenty of enthusiasm. Not to mention balls.
Fred Dibnah was rather like Marmite to IMechE members. Personally, I am pretty sure George Stephenson would have approved.
To my mind, anyone who can raise the profile of engineering to the younger generation has to be a good thing. Those of us who were raised in the 1950's won't forget the influence of rocketry, V Bombers, Calder Hall, and all the other new technology.
On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 10:07:56 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

+1

NT

You might be interested to know there is rather a large choice of channels now, so you're not forced to watch either Dibna or Martin. Not that you ever were anyway.
--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 10:53:52 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

There have been for years. Almost all of it a bad way to spend a big chunk of one's life.
NT

The amount of time anyone spends watching TV isn't compulsory.
--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

On Tuesday, 9 August 2016 14:36:10 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

That's really informative.

As was your comment of not having watched TV in years. Which I very much doubt is true.
--
*Change is inevitable ... except from vending machines *