Where to put curtainrail

Hi,

Can someone suggest the best place to fix a curtain rail in a room with a large lintel above the window? SWMBO wants the rail fixed to the front face of it, which would mean that the curtains would hang down about 6 inches in front of the wall. I want the rail underneath the lintel so that the curtains are closer to the wall.

Diagram (side view)

| | |

Reply to
Mark

On the underside of the lintel to make the curtains close to the lower wall. Less light intrusion. A possible alternative is to add a pelmet the front of the lintel to enhance the effect of the window depth and hide the curtain tops.

Of course, for a really effective solution fit a roller blind with side guides similar to motorhomes. Stops almost all the light.

Are these full length curtains or sill length? .If the latter then fixing them to the face of the lintel would imho make them look daft . If floor length then that might be ok but I'd be inclined to fix them under the lintel so they hang close to the wall or just above the sill depending on the actual length

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

Clearly you're only posting here, in an attempt to impress us. Just do what you're told, like the rest of us. :-)

Reply to
Andy Cap

They're not full length, but would hang down below the sill, but not too long so as to cover the radiator below then window.

Reply to
Mark

OI Andy,

Don't let Flo know what you are saying

;-)

As there is a radiator attached to the wall, the curtains must be as close to the window as is possible and the bottom of the curtains must be above the top of the radiator.. If the curtains are below the top of the radiator and/or some distance away from the window then hot air rising from the radiator (this is the main way in which heat os transferred from the radiator into the room) will be trapped between the curtain and the window rather than going into the room

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Agreed, with the exception of one window, where appropriate, I have put shelves above the radiators to deflect the heat into the rooms rather than disappearing under the curtain to heat the planet.

Reply to
Clot

I did in the end since SWMBO bought curtains that were too long. ;-)

Reply to
Mark