Where to position smoke / CO alarm

So what the authoritative advice then: at head height or at least 1.5m above the floor? And who is the authority you are relying on?

Reply to
Robin

1.5 metre wasn't from my post but a quote from Kidde.

Have you read BS EN 50292? Probably not unless you have bought a copy. Money takes priority over safety

Reply to
Martin

So have, and did, I.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Only if sit there running the engine with the garage door closed.

Reply to
ARW

Robin used to be able to read most BS documents on the web for free using his library card. Dunno if he still can.

As CO blends with the air and the detectors go off at a very early detection I would not have a problem with a ceiling mounted on (as per Aico's instructions)

Reply to
ARW

I'm not sure that in these days of catalytic converters that there's much CO in exhaust gas any more.

Reply to
Huge

I cannot remember if you had to start from cold for the cats not to work or rev the engines bollocks off until the anti pollution light came on to get the CO.

Gfs Mini (not a BMW big thing but a proper Mini) might set it off:-)

Reply to
ARW

And that was of course a quote I provided.

Sad to say that facility has been cut. But I made, cough, extensive notes when I could and did read it.

And you would of course be right because the BS EN 50292 provides (as usual) that the manufacturer is *required* to provide suitable instructions on how and where to install the alarm.

Beyond that, the BS guidance on locations distinguishes between rooms with appliances and rooms without. In those with, ceiling or wall close to ceiling (with the usual advice about avoiding dead zones etc). In rooms without, _relatively_ close to the breathing zone. And always where you can see easily all the indicators on the alarm.

Reply to
Robin

Unless you have a long neck or very good eyesight you would have problems reading the displays on Kidde CO monitors fixed on or near the ceiling:-)

Reply to
Martin

or has been running recently :-)

Reply to