Where to get laminate (not flooring or preassembled worktop)?

At some point I am going to be building a small kitchen area out of plywood. I want to cover the "worktop" part with Formica-type laminate for protection. I'd have thought this was a reasonably standard thing to obtain, but I'm having trouble finding anyone to sell it. I suppose the days of people covering old kitchen tables with Formica are long gone.

Any suggestions? Ideally somewhere that will sell it in small quantities, as I probably only need a square metre or so.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

There are probably too many designs, textures, and thicknesses to make stocking and selling small sheets of laminate economical.

In my experience the only places to get it in smaller sizes are

a) old fashioned DIY\woodyard type places that sell offcuts of all kinds of stuff often out the back. The only way to find these places other than word of mouth is either checking out yellow pages (the paper version) or driving, walking around looking for them. A big disadvantage can be that the designs\colours can be unsuitable (i.e crap) although obviously not to the person who first used the sheet. Given the chance they will often try and charge silly prices.

b) Kitchen firms sometimes try and off load silly size off-cuts i.e 50cm x 4 mtr on eBay. But at a full pro-rata rate as for full sheets which is taking the p*ss IMO. Then the designs are usually limited to wood grains.

michael adams

michael adams

"Pete Verdon" wrote in message news:hir59h$mb8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

idea how close you are to Suffolk, though.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Reply to
dom