Where to get/buy thin vinyl sheet like gloves are made of?

On 20/09/2017 19:22, Chris Green wrote:

True I never found PVC to be particularly stretchy, unlike "rubber" - but this may not be that important for your application.

It's not clear from the OP whether "waterproof" means "rain-proof", but I don't think latex will tolerate the UV.
Well, most people weld pvc using heat. It is available as sign makers use it, as do makers of those pouches for sending articles for the blind through the mail. Brian
--
----- -
On Wednesday, 20 September 2017 12:16:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:

Use the interesting results to find people to mail to ask "where do you source your pvc/vinyl sheeting"?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

:-)
However the 'interesting' results are all clothes which use the fabric backed stretch PVC material which is not what I want.
I did do quite a lot of searching before asking here, much of the problem is the 'noise' caused by kinky black PVC clothes and, rather to my surprise, by vinyl stickers for vehicles. In addition one tends to get a lot of hits for parcel wrapping film.
As I said you *can* get very stretchy PVC/Vinyl, in among the other 'not what I want' hits I came across quite a few for vinyl gloves, mostly from medical suppliers. I have actually bought some vinyl gloves (for protecting my hands from paint stripper) and they really are very stretchy.
--
Chris Green
·

On 20/09/2017 12:08, Chris Green wrote:

EPDM pond liner from garden centres ?. About 1mm thick I think.

That's one possible route, yes. You can also get PVC pond liner which is probably the closest to what I want that I've found so far.
Thanks.
--
Chris Green
·

Consider 0.8mm neoprene. Thicker neoprene foam is glued together for wetsuits.
AJH

Pond liner material is easily obtained in sheets from various suppliers, a quick gander at some suppliers does suggest though the qualities of stretchiness you are after may be difficult to find with PVC and advise use of EPDM or Butyl where liners have to stretched in a pond to line it tidily.
Your worries about glues not withstanding these places do sell adhesives to repair such materials and the joints have to be water tight.
G.Harman
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

Yes, that may be the way to go, I've never found it *easy* to stick edpm, nitrile, neoprene, etc, though. With PVC it's trivial to stick.
--
Chris Green
·

Chris Green wrote:

The last time someone asked, I suggested evostik contact adhesive, when I tried it using some offcuts left from when I did my roof it stuck, but not very well.
The epdm came with some tins of primer to use before glueing, which presumably 'breaks through' the low surface energy and lets the glue get a grip.
Unfortunately the primer is not the sort of stuff you can keep around, it had a short shelf life and dire warnings not to open it until you were ready to use it as it would go off to a useless gel within 24 hours.

Exactly!

Much easier to stick PVC! .... which is where I started.
--
Chris Green
·

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 12:08:01 +0100

Cheap shower curtain?
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 01:11:11 +0100 (GMT+01:00) jim <k> wrote:

To a degree, obviously not like latex.
jim <k> wrote:

Exactly the problem, it's relatively easy to find non-stretchy PVC sheet but stretcy is another matter. It *can* be made because you can get very stretchy PVC gloves but I can't find a source of simple, stretchy sheet. I guess it's because it doesn't find many (any?) uses so no one makes or sells it - pity.
--
Chris Green
·

On Sunday, 24 September 2017 09:15:58 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:

Are PVC gloves made from sheet or are they made by dipping moulds into liquid?
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

I'd *guess* they are made by the dipping method, I don't think there are any seams. However it doesn't mean it's not possible to produce stretchy sheet, just that it might not be produced.
--
Chris Green
·

On Sunday, 24 September 2017 12:47:58 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:

I've seen them made by dipping. Whether there are any sewn sheet ones I don't know for sure, but can only think of downsides to doing them that way
NT