Where to find a door jam(b) saw?

Hi there, hope this question is not too off topic? I am about to put down laminate flooring - standard stuff. I am told one can buy a special saw that will cut away the bottom of the door jam so as to slide the laminate underneath (leaving a gap of course!!). Anyone know if such a special tool exists and where I would get one online? Tried Homebase and they never heard of such a thing. I would probably get by with a 'manual' tool but am interested to know if there are electric versions? Tried Google without luck. Any suggestions welcome please. Ger.

Reply to
ger

Bosch do one, fairly new on the market, can't remember its name. You asked at Homebase and expected them to know? no chance.

Reply to
Scabbydug

Have a look at the Axminster website Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

Several possible approaches.

Hire one of these:

a biscuit jointer - it's one of the suggested alternate uses in the manual with my Makita.

Buy a Fein Multimaster (or the cheaper Bosch version).

Reply to
dom

They are expensive. I did my hall with 5x doorways with a tenon saw.

Andy Dee

Thanks Andy, Isn't it very awkward to get a tenon saw flat and horizontal? I envisioned a tool (like a tenon saw) but with an offset handle so the blade would lie flat on the tile/board. Also a blade with no raised back edge. Sort of like a plasterers tool but with a saw/serrated edge!! Ger.

Reply to
ger

Stuart, brilliant. Looks like the keyword is "flushcut" !! I had tried 'jam', jamb', and undercut' without luck. The Axminster site has the answer. Seberal options. Many thanks Ger.

Reply to
ger

Looks like the Axminster website has the answer for me. Thanks again Stuart. Ger

Reply to
ger

Bosch do the pmf 180, which is a cheaper version of the Fein. Lots of threads on here about it. Argos stock it, as do many other places. Got mine from Lawson-HIS.co.uk - cheapest I could find and cheap blades too. Screwfix have it for =A330 more than other places - even more than the RRP!

I've just tried it on the bottom of a binding door, and it works - clean and straight cut, but it took a long time. I think the supplied semi-circular blade is too fine

For door frame and architrave, all you really need is a normal 20" hand saw with fine teeth. This will be flexible enough to bend against the floor to cut. Use a scrap piece of flooring first to do the cut against.

dg

Reply to
dg

Bosch do the pmf 180, which is a cheaper version of the Fein. Lots of threads on here about it. Argos stock it, as do many other places. Got mine from Lawson-HIS.co.uk - cheapest I could find and cheap blades too. Screwfix have it for £30 more than other places - even more than the RRP!

I've just tried it on the bottom of a binding door, and it works - clean and straight cut, but it took a long time. I think the supplied semi-circular blade is too fine

For door frame and architrave, all you really need is a normal 20" hand saw with fine teeth. This will be flexible enough to bend against the floor to cut. Use a scrap piece of flooring first to do the cut against.

dg

Thanks for that DG. I think I have the answer at the Axminster site (see other responses) Thank you Ger.

Reply to
ger

I used this method last wqeek. My bizzy cutter blade is 8mm from the foot plate. Had to shim it up the raise it high enough for my new flooring. Couldn't be easier.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

Electric door trimming saws are v expensive. Try a Jananese style pull saw like this

?prodId=IrwinProd100269

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

?prodId=IrwinProd100269>>> --