Where to buy / how to fix Kingspan K17?

Hi

I want to fix Kingspan Kooltherm K17 to a 9" solid wall in a small bedroom. Because the room is so small I will use 32.5 or 37.5mm (total) thickness board and fix it direct to the wall. I wonder if anyone could answer a few questions for me?

1) Should I use adhesive, (special) nails or both?

2) I only need 2 boards and will tape the join between them. Will I need to have the boards skim plastered?

3) Do any of the well known building suppiers (Travis Perkins etc) sell them? I looked at planetinsulation but they have a minimum order of =A3200, which is twice the cost of what I need. I live in Surrey.

Any advice appreciated,

David

Reply to
DavidA

Hi

I have now found a supplier of Kingspan Kooltherm K17 (Travis Perkins), but still need some advice about how to fit it please. In particular:

1) Should I use adhesive (if so what type) ?

2) Do I also need mechanical fixings?

3) I only need 2 boards and will tape the join between them. What tape should I use? Do I need jointing compound?

4) Will I need to have the boards skim plastered, or can I hide the jointing tape?

5) I want to emulsion the new surface. Should I use dry wall primer?

David

Reply to
DavidA

you can't use glue but you can attach directly to a wall thats "sound dry and level". I imagine they are thinking of using something like frame fixers or screws that dont require rawplugs. Doing that you would probably need to skim it over, otherwise just use filler in the taper edges and over the screw heads. Have a look at the pdf.

Reply to
Keith2.0

area :-}

What is a cold bridge, and what are window and door reveals, and how should they be prepared such as not to provide a cold bridge ?

A bonus question now :-}

If you were to dry-line interior walls, but had sufficient length on existing wiring to allow you to add a spacer (subject came up recently IIRC) to bring any fittings flush with the dry-lined surface (sockets, switches etc) would this not be a potential cold bridge, given that you're supposed to tape joints etc. ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson