where does your Mait come from?

It might be that some of the Florists shops use a similar material. I remember seeing it used in the base of some arrangements when I was a kid. A kind of stiff modeling clay. I made a box about 8x10 inches, just big enough to hold 10 1 lb bricks of Duct Seal in 2 layers of 5. even a M48 won't penetrate. I am not sure it even penetrates the first layer.

Another idea is to contact daycare of elementary schools and see if they have any modeling clay that has dried up. Over time some clays loose their oil and get stiff. Stiff modeling clay is just about exactly what duct seal is. Offer them some new clay for their old...

Reply to
Loony Tunes

I remember using some stuff in a silent pellet trap which was much firmer than putty, plumber's mait, plasticine, modelling clay, or anything else that's been suggested. I find these softer meterials unsattisfactory as you have to keep remoulding it every time it becomes to riddled with holes, and after a few hundred shots replace it as it has more lead than anything else and doesn't mould well.

I have no idea what the stuff I used was, nor where it came from. It was some 20 years ago. It was like very dark silvery grey modelling clay - imagine plasticine after being in the freezer? It wasn't sticky and was very tough work moulding it into the back of the baking tin. I used about a 3cm depth, but much less would have worked.

The best thing about it was that whether I used my CO2 BB gun, or a 12ft-lb rifle, or whether I used pointed, rounded, or flat pellets, the penetration was only a couple of milimetres at most. They just splat and stuck on the surface, pretty quietly. Eventually, after a few hundred pellets, they would cake up and you could just bursh them off with hardly any effort.

It could well have been proper ballistic putty as, if I remember correctly, the guy who gave me the pellet trap was a ballistics guy at some physics lab who did forensics for the police. Unfortunately I lost contact with him over

15 years ago.

Wonder what it was...

Adam

Reply to