Where can I buy a blowtorch head that connects to a regular LP gas supply? i.e. not propane

I am looking for a supplier of a blowtorch head that is suitable for connection to the low pressure gas mains as opposed to a propane tank. Does anyone know of a supplier?
Peter wrote:

you could try.. http://www.machinemart.co.uk / Welders and accessories
-- Sir Benjamin middlethwaite

Aren't "low pressure" and "blowtorch" mutually exclusive?
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Assuming the OP didn't mean blowtorch but just some sort of torch, one can get brazing torches which are suitable for NG or LPG from (eg):
http://www.flamefast.co.uk/heat-treatment/gas-air-torches.html
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Yes, my mistake, just a reasonably direction and hand held torch that does not need an air supply tube and/or air pump. I am just looking for something I can connect to a natural gas supply bench tap.
Thanks for the FlameFast link, the nearest they supply is the pencil torch, however, it is produces a flame rather to fine for my needs.

Yes it's the no air requirement that gets you. LPG supplies are higher pressure and can suck in enough air to work. To use NG you need pressured air to produce the right mix to do anything. Most small lab- based brazing set ups run off bench gas taps but have a compressed air supply as well. You could buy a compressor of course but a propane cylinder may be better. If you haven't got one, the cheapest way of getting one is to "liberate" one from the nearest tip (assuming they have an area for dumping them) and then go and get it refilled. That way you only pay for the refill. Naturally I would never do this as, in theory, they belong to the tip operators and it would be thieving but I have heard of it being done.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
Bob Mannix wrote:

My local gas supplier almost refused to sell me a new cyclinder, saying I could buy one from the local tip for a fiver. I didn't have time to do that and managed to persuade him. He did warn me that cylinders cannot be returned for re-filling unless they still have the plastic cap.
MBQ
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You can find the larger bottles anywhere, but try and find one thats 4.5 or 6.9 kilos and its like looking for gold dust. I went to a local gas supplier and he charged me 10 deposite for the bottle and 10 for the gas/Propane.
-- Sir Benjamin middlethwaite

Heh heh! Took three trips looking at the masses of big ones but there she was, a single 4.5 (which was what I was after!)
Persevere.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
On 29 Sep 2005 09:02:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Only 2 from my local tip. Many of them are still half-full too, if you hunt. We run the kiln and smithing forge entirely on dump-bought propane, then turn the empties into woodstoves.

Bunsen burner?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Well, yes, this is exactly the flame I want but I want something more comfortable in the hand, more compact, and with a more convenient flame control.

We are getting dangerously close to DIY here (which will bring the safety police down on us but is, at least, on-topic). Cut and shut bunsen burner?
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
Peter wrote:

Hmmm! this might be what your looking for then?
http://www.bes.ltd.uk/nav_graf/frames_cat.htm -- Sir Benjamin middlethwaite

Are you going to give us a clue as to which item in the BES catalogue you're referring?
--
Cheers,
Set Square
Set Square wrote:

No, notice the question mark on the end of the response. :-) -- Sir Benjamin middlethwaite

Ok my friend, stop teasing. What was it that you saw in the BES catalogue?
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:15:38 +0100, Peter

Go for propane. Although you can get natural gas torches, and you can ever get natural draught natural gas torches that don't need an air blower, they're a pretty pathetic thing to try and use.
Propane is cheap and effective. Oxy-propane is even more fun.