When were aerated breeze blocks first used?

I once visited the Kingston power station and saw the chain grate in operation. The coal was broken up into small pieces, probably about the size of an OXO cube, spread in a surprisingly thin layer on the moving grate.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

nternal walls however a neighbour got hold of some concrete blocks that app eared to be constructed with wood chips mixed in which as soon as they got wet just seem to disintegrate of course the fool built a garden wall then w ondered why it fell down. I have never seen anything like them since.

Presumably if the woodchips are soaked before casting the blocks would then survive wetting.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

ISTR there was a sort of insulation block that looked like this: same sort of size as a concrete block and a bit like sterling board but with a very open structure. You were not meant to get them wet!

Reply to
newshound

It was a storyline in Coronation St 30+ years ago. Hilda Ogden referred to it as the cockloft, I don't know if that was strictly accurate.

Reply to
Graham.

These ?

Have seen them at various housebuilding shows, I think also a video on youtube where someone showed they survived being kept underwater

Reply to
Andy Burns

My 1976 semi has a party wall made of heavy concrete 'breeze' blocks, while the inner skin of the outside walls are 4 inch blocks with vertical oblong-shaped holes right though them.

Whereever these were chased for wiring they have broken into the hole leaving just a quarter of the width of the original block providing support.

All the inner partition walls are 3 inch blocks made of concrete with what looks like straw mixed in with the concrete mix. They have appalling accoustic properties, acting more like microphones and amplifying any impact knocks.

Reply to
Andrew

Quite likely in anything built before 1920s.

Reply to
DJC

In message , at 20:19:24 on Mon, 10 Sep

2018, DJC remarked:

And I think first mandated in London.

I was just looking at when such a retro-fitted dividing wall might have been built, in the provinces, and it seems "anything from maybe the 50's onwards".

Reply to
Roland Perry