Wheelie bin liners

Chris Hogg laid this down on his screen :

I appreciate you are not suggesting it, but around here they will not collect anything other than the contents of the bin. No bags left at the kerb side, they even leave bins when there is too much in them to be able to close the lid.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No one hooks ours, its all done by the single individual driving the truck, without ever getting out of his seat.

Reply to
samchunk

The only thing it cares about is being the right way around, with the handle away from the kerb and the opening side of the lid towards the kerb.

Flipping

Not when you have to have people running around outside the truck.

Reply to
samchunk

We used to have a bloke who made a business of occasional, or regular bin washes (pressure washer loaded with disinfectant).

It was useful with nappies, especially in summer as they stank and were full of maggots after 2 weeks.

Less so now - my bin has not been washed out for ages and it's not clean, but it's OK.

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, the whole point is to fill them up with several plastic bags full of crap

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What about the strain on the bin men. You are expecting them to do a non- routine operation just for you that has not been risk assessed.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Ours are just the same and somehow are not very clean inside.

The mechanical handling equipment on the wagons seems to be rather rough, as all our bins now have cracks in the bottom. In the good old days I used to be able to test the outboard motors in them, but now they are too dirty and too leaky to hold enough clean water..

Reply to
Bill

Except that it is not the case or else we would be still doing it.

Reply to
FMurtz

They do not position the bins at the back All the bins are in a similar place along the road and the lorry is sufficiently clever to allow for variations. This system is used in the suburbs with single dwellings. A different more labour intensive system is used in built up high density areas with units and flats. Beat this for speed with your herd of garbos.

FMurtz

Yes, there was a godawful noise at the front of the house the other day, that I could hear from my workshop. I wasn't dressed for going out, but SWMBO was sho she investigated. An empty wheelie bin (emptied that day) was making bumpy progress down the road on its side, and had in fact ended up in the middle of a side road. She retrieved in and placed it in our front garde, wedged in full view. That was last week - no one has claimed it yet.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Round here if you don't bag your waste they simply won't take it!

Particularly true of ash and dust put into dustbins.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Poor kid. Must have caused awful nappy rash :-)

Reply to
Andrew