What use for WW2 steel ?

yes. There's a you tube video of lifting a car ferry in byte sized chunks after sawing it up.

If you aren't too particular, explosives plus a grab crane will do the same job

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

More about HMS Exeter (of River Plate and Graf Spee fame) here, including an image of the empty furrow on the sea floor:

Chris Hogg

I was about to say that even light cruisers had fairly thick layers of armour in places - but the De Ruyter had nothing thicker than 5 cm.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

On of my hobbies is scuba diving and pre-nuclear steel is valuable ... but that means WWI For example the German High Seas fleet of WW1 was sunk at anchor (after surrender) at Scapa Flow in the Orkneys ... a huge amount of salvage of the steel took place for non0nuclear contaminated product.

Post 1940 steel is not usually worth cost of salvage unless it is pretty shallow - salvage is limited to boilers, prop (non-ferrus) and any cargo of use.

Don't know specific of these ship - they could simply be lost - wrong locations recorded - very frequently.

Reply to
rick