What to do with half a day in Dorset

Suggestions
Doing Avebury circles on the way down
Final destination is Wareham
--
Adam

Bovington Tank Museum. Corfe Castle (and maybe a trip on the Swanage railway). Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door (try to park on the roadside on the outskirts of Lulworth Cove village, even if it means a walk, to avoid the congestion and the rip-off parking fees). Tyneham (village abandoned during WWII) is well worth a visit, if it happens to be open. Walk from west of Worth Matravers to Chapmans Pool - good view along and from the cliff top and a nice walk down to the bay itself (then read Minette Walters' novel The Breaker which was set in and around Chapman's Pool).
On Fri, 06 Sep 2019 19:30:24 +0100, NY wrote:

+1 for the Tank Museum.
Also Wimborne Model Topwn (of Wimborne); can you say 'recursion'? Yes, I looked for the model village in the model village...
On 06/09/2019 19:30, NY wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I am going to say the tank museum as
1. It will probably be pissing it down on Wednesday next week
2. The other suggestions look like I will be doubling back on myself.
Time is very short. Avebury is a must, Lou has never been I have only been once and that was 20 years ago and we are setting off from Barnsley on the Wednesday morning. Imagine it as a half day trip in Dorset.
I also see Bob suggests the tank museum.
So unless anyone comes up with a better solution it's tanks a lot.
Offers are still open to suggestions of any good real ale pubs in Wareham to finish the night off.
--
Adam

I suppose you are stymied by having to drive but the Square and Compass at Worth Matravers which isn’t that far away from the Tank museum or Wareham is regarded as one of the classic pubs in the area. Been run by successive generations of one family since 1907, has a manager as well now but mainly because the latest generation of the family spends most of his time making cider out the back and maintaining his fossil museum.
http://www.squareandcompasspub.co.uk/home.html
GH
On 07/09/2019 01:54, Marland wrote:

As I said in an earlier post I was not wanting to double back on myself with the journey. But I might change my mind after looking at that:-)
--
Adam

On 06/09/2019 20:06, ARW wrote:

Depending on where you are coming from the fleet air airm musem at yeovilton my be on te way too.
--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell

Yorkshire.
On 08/09/2019 10:58, Andrew wrote:

Strictly speaking it's Avebury. The stone circle visit is a must.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwT0wLnT7Rc

I went in 1999 on my way back from Cornwall on a stone circle visiting holiday (via Stonehenge) Lou has never been. It was much more impressive than Stonehenge.
--
Adam

On 08/09/2019 13:40, ARW wrote:

Are you still allowed to touch the Avebury stones (unlike Stonehenge - we used to climb on the fallen ones)?
One of the stones forms the end wall of one of the cottages.
If you're into that kind of thing there's Silbury Hill - I don't know whether you're allowed to climb it - and West Kennet Long Barrow - there used to be a lay-by and a finger post pointing up the hill - you just wandered into it - they've excavated it and removed the skeletons.
--
Max Demian

The Red Lion there has an extremely deep well inside , one of my works mobile phones may still be at the bottom of it .
My only concern with all the recommendations for the Tank museum is that half a day may not be enough time to do it justice or get best value from the £18 admission fee . If you like ancient sites then you could route yourself from Avebury to Wareham via Cerne Abbas with very little deviation where the ancient giant chalk figure is located.
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/cerne-giant
It was tidied up a few weeks ago and they had a surplus of volunteers all wanting to clean up the most famous bit.
https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/29/volunteers-polish-giants-erection-hand-10648785/
GH
On 08/09/2019 13:40, ARW wrote:

And the pub is nearby and better too.
On 06/09/2019 19:06, ARW wrote:

If you possibly can, see at least the first two 1-hr episodes of 'Age of Tanks' on Netflix (the series is four episodes), which cover the design and development of tanks from the earliest stages up to and including the Tiger. I'm sure it will add greatly to your visit.
--
Spike

On 07/09/2019 09:21, Spike wrote:

Thanks for that. Very good viewing.
--
Adam

On Friday, 6 September 2019 20:06:08 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

ide on

Tank museum is excellent.
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk says...

Don't know when you are planning this for so you might already have been but, if not, East Dorset CAMRA's summer pub of 2019 is the Horse & Groom in Wareham.
https://eastdorset.camra.org.uk/index.php/2019/06/27/horse- groom-wins-summer-pub-of-the-season/
or: https://tinyurl.com/y5k2lh5v
--

Terry

On 13/09/2019 19:55, Terry Casey wrote:

I went on Wednesday.
That was the second pub we went to. The first pub was the Duke of Wellington but as the car park pay and display machine was next to the back of the pub and it had it had been a long journey........
https://goo.gl/maps/MwHsh6ySRZhdGHTK9
As for a long journey, Barnsley to Avebury Stone Circles then to Lilley's Cider shop in Frome and then to Cerne Abass (thanks to GH for that).
I would have stopped here for a pint
http://www.thesilentwoman.co.uk/
but Lou was complaining about me wasting time doing a detour to show her a big chalk cock.
--
Adam

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk says...

Ah well, we'd been away for a few days ourselves so I was obviously too late.
I came across an interesting name for a pub as we were leaving Grantham earlier:
https://goo.gl/maps/gKmCdEuooxe61hXr9
It clains to sell 6 real ales, I noted but, as we we were on a double deck bus at the time it wasn't convenient to stop and sample the fare!
(I was just about to hit 'send' when I noticed I'd managed to get 'bus' and 'fare' into the same sentence! Purely accidental, I can assure you!)
--

Terry

On Sat, 14 Sep 2019 18:04:26 +0100, Terry Casey wrote:

The most unusual one I've seen (and only ever one of them) used to be at the bottom of Edward Street in Brighton.
It was called 'Dog Tray'.
There is a literary connection, though, as I found out many years later.
Was not that village used in an Episode of the Avengers? Brian
--
----- --