What to do with half a day in Dorset

Suggestions

Doing Avebury circles on the way down

Final destination is Wareham

Reply to
ARW

Bovington Tank Museum. Corfe Castle (and maybe a trip on the Swanage railway). Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door (try to park on the roadside on the outskirts of Lulworth Cove village, even if it means a walk, to avoid the congestion and the rip-off parking fees). Tyneham (village abandoned during WWII) is well worth a visit, if it happens to be open. Walk from west of Worth Matravers to Chapmans Pool - good view along and from the cliff top and a nice walk down to the bay itself (then read Minette Walters' novel The Breaker which was set in and around Chapman's Pool).

Reply to
NY

+1 for the Tank Museum.

Also Wimborne Model Topwn (of Wimborne); can you say 'recursion'? Yes, I looked for the model village in the model village...

Reply to
Bob Eager

If the weather is crap, I can recommend the Three Horseshoes in Burton Bradstock for food and beer. (Rented the cottage next door a couple of months ago).

Reply to
newshound

Thanks for the reply. I am going to say the tank museum as

  1. It will probably be pissing it down on Wednesday next week
  2. The other suggestions look like I will be doubling back on myself.

Time is very short. Avebury is a must, Lou has never been I have only been once and that was 20 years ago and we are setting off from Barnsley on the Wednesday morning. Imagine it as a half day trip in Dorset.

I also see Bob suggests the tank museum.

So unless anyone comes up with a better solution it's tanks a lot.

Offers are still open to suggestions of any good real ale pubs in Wareham to finish the night off.

Reply to
ARW

look for a hooker ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Agree about the tank museum. If the weather is good and you like animals Monkey World is nearby.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I suppose you are stymied by having to drive but the Square and Compass at Worth Matravers which isn?t that far away from the Tank museum or Wareham is regarded as one of the classic pubs in the area. Been run by successive generations of one family since 1907, has a manager as well now but mainly because the latest generation of the family spends most of his time making cider out the back and maintaining his fossil museum.

GH

Reply to
Marland

As I said in an earlier post I was not wanting to double back on myself with the journey. But I might change my mind after looking at that:-)

Reply to
ARW

Depending on where you are coming from the fleet air airm musem at yeovilton my be on te way too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you possibly can, see at least the first two 1-hr episodes of 'Age of Tanks' on Netflix (the series is four episodes), which cover the design and development of tanks from the earliest stages up to and including the Tiger. I'm sure it will add greatly to your visit.

Reply to
Spike

Was not that village used in an Episode of the Avengers? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Tyneham? It's not listed in IMDB as being used in any episodes of Avengers - only in a film called Comrades in 1986. But IMDB's locations details are very sketchy - only as and when people recognise them!

It may have been Imber, in the middle of Salisbury Plain, which was also evacuated, never to be returned to, in the 1940s.

Reply to
NY

Tank Museum

Reply to
DJC

Tank museum is excellent.

Reply to
harry

Thanks for that. Very good viewing.

Reply to
ARW

Visit Devon.

Reply to
Andrew

Yorkshire.

Reply to
Andrew

Which part of it is in Dorset?

And do you want me do tell you how the school teacher told where in Devon she had just been on holiday?

Well I am going to tell you anyway.

Her "Well you know how Devon is sort of this shape [makes squarish shape with fingers and thumbs] we were up at the top bit"

Reply to
ARW

Wednesday could be a bit cloudy with some light rain in Dorset, but coming from Yorkshire, Adam might not even notice it.

Reply to
Andrew