What sized cable to use?

Better not as you would have no chance of showing the impedance of two pieces of copper cable had any significance.

Well at least I know the impedance is going to make naff all difference.

Reply to
dennis

But with substandard infrastructure. I know which I'd prefer, and I could put the basalt bath in later for a few K without having to dig up the entire garden.

All the fancy gadgets that dim the lights whenever they're used :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In article , dennis@home scribeth thus

So two cables the same and your worrying about the fraction of an Ohm..

Just as well you didn't get the job with the GEGB;!...

Of course Den .. Of course;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Nor would the effects of 3 phase conductors that are in parallel (depending on the proximity of the phases that are laid next to each other).

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Rubbish, now you are grasping at straws.

Reply to
dennis

Only if I lived in dennis world.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I spose we could point him at table 4B4D (Voltage Drop in SWA) where he would see the reactive impedances quoted for cables with conductor CSAs over 25mm...

Reply to
John Rumm

If that's the path theyre taking, best consider lighting. Mains halogen and vanilla incandescent react badly to small voltage changes. CFL and low voltage halogen react well. Linear fluorescent presumably wont get a look in on such a house, but reacts pretty well.

NT

Reply to
NT

(4D4B)

Could you explain that please, the 3 figures, are they per phase then? Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

So does the 17th (appendix 10).

Reply to
ARWadsworth

And who was it that was unable to operate an induction hob?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The three figures are the voltage drop per metre due to resistance (the "r" suffix ones), reactance (x suffix) and the total combined impedance (z suffix). The gory details are laid out in Appendix 4 section 6 of BS7671, but in summary as cable conductor sizes rise, the resistive losses fall per metre, and the reactive losses start to become an ever more significant proportion of the whole.

Reply to
John Rumm