What's with the quoting (or lack of)?

That quoted fine, but most GG posts don't.

As Clive George asked, do you know why your post had "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit" rather than "Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable" ?

Reply to
OG

I have no idea. I am not aware of any changeable options in GG. It's been 7bit for at least the last year. I'm using Firefox. Maybe other browsers are different.

Reply to
Matty F

Yes, it looks like FF does it differently.

I've done some experiments using IE7, Chrome and FF2 , the results of which can be summarised

- New posts made via gg are posted with the 7bit encoding flag regardless of the browser used.

- Replies via gg using IE7 or Chrome are posted as quoted-printable

- Replies via gg using Firefox 2 are posted as 7bit

OE/WM do/es not quote correctly if the original message was sent using quoted-printable.

Reply to
OG

Well, this is posted through GG. GG puts the > in all the correct places when quoting your post, and places the cursor at the end ready for bottom posting.

It either the way *some* people use GG, or the way *some* peoples newsreaders work.

I always use the "more options -> reply route", rather than the "reply" option at the bottom of each post. There used to be a difference, but there soesn't seem to be now.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It's a bit of both. As Clive George has pointed out, for Outlook Express /Windows Mail to insert the quote '>' correctly, the Content-Transfer-Encoding: parameter has to be correctly set. If = "7bit", quoting works correctly in OE/WM If = "quoted-printable" quoting doesn't work in OE/WM

The problem with google groups is to do with the way that the parameter is set.

I've done some experiments using IE7, Chrome and FF2 , the results of which can be summarised as follows:-

- New posts made via gg are posted with 7bit encoding regardless of the browser used.

- Replies via gg using IE7 or Chrome are posted as quoted-printable

- Replies via gg using Firefox 2 are posted as 7bit

Reply to
OG

If I'm not mistaken, your post to gg was made using Firefox 3, is that right? - in which case, we can mark that down as another one that changes the encoding to "quoted-printable". :-(

Reply to
OG

Hmm, I think an option to 'flag' gg messages might be nice, just so I know in advance that I might be about to read a complete and utter mess of a post.

Some gg users do seem to have useful things to say - but if I have to make extra effort to pick out their comments from the previous poster, or scroll through yards of stuff that I've already seen, then I often find I can't be bothered. Having a clear warning at the top of gg posts might motivate me to come back to their messages when I'm more in the mood for a challenge :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Clive George

In message , Clive George writes

Well, they seemed to be their when I read your reply

Reply to
chris French

Yes, so they changed it between FF2 and FF3?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I'm failing to see the problem here.

I've even gone and done a quick search for all the messages I have here in uk.d-i-y that appear to have come from Googlegroups. reading through a random section of them, they all seemed fine, quoted properly, I could make out the replies ok.

Reply to
chris French

Yes, that's because I've got a keyboard and the ability to use it :-)

Reply to
Clive George

It's looking like they must have - hence my use of T-bird for this reply.

Reply to
OG

Clearly :-)

But if somebody using OE replies to those GG replies, the quoting will be wrong by default - it'll require either quotefix or manual fixing to correct it. Do you understand that yet?

Reply to
Clive George

I don't have the faintest idea what that means, it's complete gibberish to me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's not really relevant to you :-) But if you really care, look at the properties of the message within OE, and do view source - you'll see that line in there.

Reply to
Clive George

My mistake - I should have been asking the question of Matty F.

We seem to have identified that it's because he was using Firefox 2 browser to reply via google groups.

Reply to
OG

You did, as the quoted text shows.

Reply to
Clive George

In message , Clive George writes

but the complaint originally seemed to be that posts from Google Groups where problematical becuase of poor quoting, not snipping (can't see why that is a GG issue though, but really the problem then is OE?

Can't quite se why GG and it's users should be getting such a hard time when the problem seems to be the buggy behaviour of a particular client

Reply to
chris French

Its OK as a reader, just don't use it to post.

Reply to
dennis