What's the price of a pressure regulating valve?

Short story;

I'm reliably informed that I need to change the pressure regulating valve in my flat, and I've been told to expect a price of £120-£180 for the valve, and £120 upward for labour.

Does this sound fair?

Long story;

The last six or so months, my Keston 80 boiler that runs both the central heating and the hot water supply has broken down twice. First time I got the plumbers out (apologies if they're not really plumbers, they were recommended by Keston and they do servicing of this boiler) and they changed the air filter and reset the boiler. Apparently it had locked out because of overheating.

Second time around the same happened, the boiler would not ignite and I lost hot water and heating. The same plumbers came around only to press a button (or something) explaining it had locked out to prevent overheating. Asking for more information, I understand that they reckon it is the pressure regulating valve that could be broken. Especially this could happen if the flat has been unused for a long period of time (in this case pretty much two years).

Then the (mains supply of cold) water stops working alltogether, and I get another company out for an emergency visit. They 'let the air out of the system' and tested all sorts of things. Conclusion; the 'air' in the system stopped the water. It was only my flat that was affected.

To explain the low pressure (less than 1 bar, if not less - it takes a minute to fill a glass of water and don't even get me started on showering) this guy reckons the pressure regulating valve is busted and should be changed.

Naively it seems to me that the source of all these problems is the pressure regulating valve, and if it is finally fixed on the fourth visit of qualified people at the quoted price, it will have cost me about £800 for the four visits, parts etc.

Is this a usual story, or am I doing something stupid?

Probably looking at other posts you will want more details, but I don't know where to start...

Thanks, Guttorm

Reply to
Guttorm Christensen

Not sure what you mean, from your post, but if it's one that on the mains cold water supply, not part of the boiler, is it one of the type on this page?:

if it is, then it sounds a little expensive for the part at least.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Hmm having a bit of difficulty working out what "pressure regulating valve" you are talking about....

You could be talking about the boilers pressure relief valve. Have a read of Ed's sealed system FAQ and pay particular attention to said valve and the role expansion vessels play.

that does not sound like what you are talking about, then perhaps a bit more information would help. i.e. Where is this valve? Part of the boiler, or something external to it? Could you photograph it and stick it on a web page for us to look at?

'fraid so ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm
  • Lee, Apr 13, 4:38 pm:

=A3120-=A3180

The valve is on the mains cold water supply, not on the boiler

It is the third unit sitting on the pipe. Firstly there is the stop c*ck , then there is a 'double check valve' (very similar if not identical to ) that I was told prevents dirt (!) coming through and contamination of mains supply, then there is what I am told is the 'pressure regulating valve'.

Here's my attempt of a schematic diagram:

--> mains cold water coming into the room

--> stop c*ck

--> double check valve

--> pressure regulating valve

It does look very similar to many of the ones in your link, in particular this one here; .

However it says 3,5 bar on the black nob and you cannot adjust the pressure.

Looking at my quote;

parts =A3120-=A3180 labour =A3120+

=3D =A3240 - =A3300

Should I try and fit this pressure regulating valve myself?

The last time I had the plumbers in they simply checked every other element of the pipes etc, so I am sure this is actually my problem.

Would I be stupid to do this myself? I guess I need a couple of spanners but that's it, right? [a]

Guttorm

[a] procedure; (1) stop the water at the mains; (2) drain water from the pipes; (3) close the stop c*ck; (4) fit the new item; (5) bring the mains pressure back on; (6) slowly open the stop c*ck to ensure no leaks
Reply to
Guttorm Christensen
  • John Rumm, Apr 13, 7:37 pm:

There is only one pipe for the water supply into the flat. This is the 'mains cold water supply'.

The pressure regulating valve is the third unit on the pipe coming into the flat, and previous plumber identified this valve (whatever it is called ;-) as where the pressure is reduced.

The valve itself looks very similar to , the only difference being that there is no nob to change the pressure.

Thanks

Reply to
Guttorm Christensen
  • John Rumm, Apr 13, 7:37 pm:

There is only one pipe for the water supply into the flat. This is the 'mains cold water supply'.

The pressure regulating valve is the third unit on the pipe coming into the flat, and previous plumber identified this valve (whatever it is called ;-) as where the pressure is reduced.

The valve itself looks very similar to , the only difference being that there is no nob to change the pressure.

Guttorm,

£120-180 for the valve is rip-off. What pressure is the valve set to? What size pipe? Any idea? Unless you have super high pressure to drop down, then an expensive valve would be required.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil
  • Lee, Apr 13, 4:38 pm:

£120-£180

The valve is on the mains cold water supply, not on the boiler

It is the third unit sitting on the pipe. Firstly there is the stop c*ck , then there is a 'double check valve' (very similar if not identical to ) that I was told prevents dirt (!) coming through and contamination of mains supply, then there is what I am told is the 'pressure regulating valve'.

Here's my attempt of a schematic diagram:

--> mains cold water coming into the room

--> stop c*ck

--> double check valve

--> pressure regulating valve

It does look very similar to many of the ones in your link, in particular this one here; .

However it says 3,5 bar on the black nob and you cannot adjust the pressure.

Looking at my quote;

parts £120-£180 labour £120+

= £240 - £300

Should I try and fit this pressure regulating valve myself?

The last time I had the plumbers in they simply checked every other element of the pipes etc, so I am sure this is actually my problem.

Would I be stupid to do this myself? I guess I need a couple of spanners but that's it, right? [a]

Guttorm

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I wonder if you are in an area (London only AFAIK) where the water pressure has been deliberately dropped to reduce leaks from the water mains? Ask your neighbours if they have had a similar experience over the same period. In that case, you might just need to remove it, but that might not leave your installation safe if the pressure should rise again.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel
  • Andrew Gabriel, Apr 14, 3:16 am:

Yes I am in London NW3. My flat is in a block of flats that were built in 2000.

I am told that there are 'pumps' that increase the mains pressure to the hundred or so flats. None of my neighbours have had similar problems, mind you my flat was empty for about two years until I moved back in about half a year ago. This, according to my plumber, explain why the valve has gone faulty.

I guess I should get a replacement valve, however I was just stunned to see the price!

Guttorm

Reply to
Guttorm Christensen

Soem have a screrw adjustment. I got one like that for a few pounds (£10-ish? IIRC) from BES. I suggest you also get a pressure gauge (again cheap from BES, though you'll need a way of connecting its 1/4" BSP male thread to something more useful) and mesure your water pressure (a) where it enters your flat (b) after the pressure reducing valve, and maybe also at taps etc.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Hi,

BES have the bits needed, a 1/4 to 3/4 BSP bush would allow it to be connected to a washing machine hose and tap.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C