What's the "dog's" for dealing with black mould.

Does anyone know of a supplier of anti-fungal paint?

The problem: a solid concrete (or other masonry finish) ceiling, the shower steam goes straight up and condenses, with the inevitable result.

I'll be adding forced ventilation for the new occupants. However I would like to know what paints are available which are truly anti-fungal?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

BIGEYE

I wonder why people pay premium prices for antifungal paints when they can just add antifungal compounds to whatever paint they wish.

The cheapest is crushed aspirin tablets. Copper compounds are antifungal, and a longer lasting choice if something of low solubility is picked.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Copper compounds are blue. My ceiling is white! :-)

What do you do? Just stir in some copper sulphate?

Markus

Reply to
Markus Splenius

solubility

Brilliant white is mildly blue tinted white rather than pure white, but the amount of copper needed is low enough not to be noticeable. Copper compounds come in blue, reddish, black, etc.

I'd use a less water soluble copper compund myself. Last time I did this I used aspirin, but lower solubility is better, lasts much longer. I worked out how many I'd need to get the concentration required to be effective, powdered them, and mixed in.

If I were doing it today I'd probably just add copper filings, easier and longer lasting.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Polystyrene ceiling tiles?

Reply to
Peter Parry

Look at anti-fungal treatmnts containing quaternary ammonium compounds. They are available (sorry, don't know a brand) as sprays or solutions to kill existing mould growth

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

insulate the ceiling. I would have thought it far more preferable to eliminate the condensation than to attacked the problem chemically. If nothing else the insualation will last for ever while anytning 'anti-' will deteriorate with time.

Having said that - is the aspirin thing true or are you pulling the collective leg ?

Rob

Rob

Reply to
robkgraham

OK I could afford to loose a cm or two (but not much more) from the room height and use celotex or similar. But it would likely need to be skimmed over (under really?) to look OK.

Polystyrene tiles are just too naff even for a middle market 1 bed flat.

Could try polystyrene 'lining paper' but that's only a few mm thick and might not work well enough.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

"Ed Sirett" wrote | Polystyrene tiles are just too naff | even for a middle market 1 bed flat.

And I think unacceptable on fire safety grounds.

The problem really is not condensation per se, but condensation wetting a surface and providing the conditions for mould to grow. If you can replace the surface with something which sheds condensation, mould will be a lot less likely to grow. Tiles would work, or the tile or marble style plastic laminates used in commercial kitchens or bathrooms. The condensation should simply run off harmlessly, and if some mould does grow then the surface is wipe-clean with bleach.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I've used it on a cold wall in a bathroom and it worked quite well(in that it moved the condensation elsewhere until proper ventilation was sorted out). Even where water does condense on it it seems to evaporate somewhat faster so minimising the opportunity of mould developing.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I can see no problem with them on a solid concrete bathroom ceiling. By the time they ignited anyone in the flat would long ago have ceased worrying about it.

Suspended polystyrene ceilings are a different kettle of fish.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I think I'll basically clean off the existing with bleach. Add an extractor fan. Which will mean a Part-P building notice . And paint with an anti-mould paint.

The tenants before the last lot did not have a problem so the users also have a big part to play in the matters.

Flat is in a block with communal (unvented) HW the shower is truly superb off a 'contract' grade manual mixer. This probably encourages luxuriating under the warm fire hose...

Reply to
Ed Sirett

"Ed Sirett" wrote | Add an extractor fan. Which will mean a Part-P building notice .

But you've got a receipt for an extractor fan you bought last year - proof you started the job before 31st Dec.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

'anti-'

copper lasts many decades - water soluble aspirin wont though.

Sure, aspirin turns into salicylic acid, which kills fungi. I was about to put brush to wall one time and I thought, hold on, it would only take a few mins to put something antifungal in here, and thats what I had to hand. It worked. Safe, effective, very easy, dead cheap, but probably not long lasting.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I always keep 4" bathroom timer fans in stock - it'll be old stock.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

IME a 'fungicidal wash' such as the Dulux one here

a very effective pre-treatment. Provided the new ventilation is effective there's surely no reason not to follow up with ordinary emulsion - or an alkyd-based eggshell finish if you're still worried about damp.

Reply to
Andy Wade