What's a reasonable lifespan for a combi boiler?

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk saying something like:

If it was in another room it would be handy to keep it as standby for when the combi breaks down. Of course, by the time it was really needed it would have been usused for so long it possibly wouldn't work.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

A.Clews

Yes, Geoff's website shows a reconditioned part exchange one at £66.70 including VAT and delivery. I'm keeping that in mind as an option if we decide to keep the boiler but installing a new boiler anyway while the kitchen is totally ripped apart for other work is looking like the preferred option despite the extra cost.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Reply to
YAPH

:-)

Reply to
A.Clews

Reply to
Owain

Reply to
YAPH

Or maybe "Buderus": AIUI the kebab-shaped combustion chamber/heat exchanger in the newer Worcester-Bosch Greenstar models was designed by Buderus who were bought by W-B (or Bosch Thermotechnology or some part of the Bosch empire).

Reply to
YAPH

Or one with a clever control system that modulates the burner down when the return temp is too high. Try a Broag with a weather compensator

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You must stop making things up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The message from YAPH contains these words:

So what exactly was replaced by what?

And by what percentage did the gas usage actually go down?

Reply to
Roger

multitudes:

Unless it is the self diagnostic feature that fails ;-)

Reply to
Mark

I wouldn't buy any kind of "frost free" freezer/fridge+freezer. They are /much/ less reliable.

Reply to
Mark

I can give you my figures for changing from an RS BE cast iron floorstander. 16% over this winter quarter - and it's been rather colder than last year.

Only other change was going over to weather compensation from the previous programmable roomstat. Still an open vented hot water storage system - although the primary side is now sealed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There's more in them to go wrong so I'd accept they're inherently likely to be less reliable, but the extra bits are a fan, a motorised flap and a heating element, none of which is exactly rocket science, so they shouldn't be /much/ less reliable.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Ideal Mexico BF by W-B Greenstar 24i Junior.

TBH I don't know: I wasn't keeping readings before and haven't done since. The reason I junked the old boiler was that it kept falling over, and the second time we came back from a few days away to a freezing cold house because the pilot had died while we were away its card was marked.

Reply to
YAPH

That's about what I would expect from the boiler alone.

Changing from Non-independant HW cylinder heating and no TRVs and No wall thermostat, no cylinder stat etc. would be a similar saving as well.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Could you clarify, Ed? The Viessmann doesn't use a wall stat - but has a cylinder one. I do have some TRVs. But not in the main heat demand area - the living room.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I agree that they shouldn't be much less reliable but they are.

Frost-free freezers also have a more complex control board which often fails.

Reply to
Mark

Well our 15 year old Bosch frost free fridge/freezer did have an initial teething problem which was fixed under warranty. It's given 100% trouble free service since then. We'd definitely go for another when it eventually dies.

Reply to
Mike Clarke