What next to fix radiators?

3 storey house, top floor rads stone cold, as are pipes in and out. The feed-and-expansion is working fine, pressure is 1.5 bar in the system, no bleeding necessary. Only 1 rad on ground floor, 3 on middle 2 on top - botoom two fllors rads are working fine.

Is this just a question of balancing? Boiler is powerful, new condenser fitted two years ago.

It's getting cold.... any suggestions? Thanks.

geoffinns

It does sound as though the bottom floors are taking priority over the rest of the system, so a bit of balancing out might be a good idea. But.

Is the pump running properly?

How far above the top floor rads' is the header tank?

Where has the pump been situated?

Do you know if the top floor has a separate pipe run directly from the pump?

We would really need to know more about the whole system before we can give any sort advice that may help.

You could try and close off the bottom floor rads' and see if the top floor gets hot. If they do, then the system might be salvaged by getting the valves in a position that keeps a balance throughout. But a bit more info' if you can, please.

Reply to
BigWallop

May have a complete airlock.

Try turning off all rads completely except one upstairs, and running pump flat out.

That may be enough to push air out of pipes into rads where it can be bled.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

s You did bleed at radiator top, with pump off, so you know air is out of radiators, how old is pump, it does actualy pump and run, check level of horizontal pipes , maybe house has settled and there is air lock somewhere, was it working in previous years. What is pressure

Reply to
ransley

I did this, more air than I have ever seen in a radiator came out, both radiators working. Thanks very much to you, you just saved me an engineer callout.

Reply to
geoffinns

s You did bleed at radiator top, with pump off, so you know air is out of radiators, how old is pump, it does actualy pump and run, check level of horizontal pipes , maybe house has settled and there is air lock somewhere, was it working in previous years. What is pressure

A lesson to others - the pressure gauge is no indication that there isn't air in the system

Reply to
John

Two years with the system not working properly - or is there something you're not telling us?

Assuming it's a basic system with no zoning start by doing a rough balance job. Close down all the pre-set lockshields fully and open 3/4 of a turn. See if that sorts it. If so, then do an accurate balance - details in the FAQ.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

led.- Hide quoted text -

After air is out water level is lower you may need to add water but maybe not, reblead radiators, all of them. You should have all water when boiler is cold at room temp and off, forget the pressure gauge for whats needed, I am supposed to have 30ft or 30 lb to go 30ft up but I need 15lb, [im US] and its accurate. When boiler is room temp- cold see if water or air comes out, if nothing turn on boiler and quickly go to highest radiator and bleed again, then bleed all of them, if there is air pressure is likely low. If water is low heat- water will not stay in highest radiator, so maybe you are low on water but only fill a COLD boiler and do it at 15 second fills and recheck highest radiator later. To much water is harder on a boilers pressure and life, to little and top floor gets no heat. Constantly needing to fill means a leak somewhere. Eventualy you will know what pressure is correct. For uneven heat lower Aquastat temp so pump runs more and boiler runs at lower temp. What is Aquastat set at. Most condensing units reach full efficency at near 110f and loose 5% near 150f. Yea here we drive on the other side of the road, use Farenhite, don`t mandate condensing heating or anything that saves energy and it goes to -30f+. Here nobody uses tankless WH and CFLs most dont use.

Reply to
ransley

Not sure I follow - you mention pressure in the system - this suggests a sealed system[1], but then also talk about a "feed and expansion" (I presume tank). What sort of system have you actually got?

[1]
John Rumm

My bill is in the post ;-)

Reply to