What is web site where I can enquire about phone masts, flood plain etc?

I recall a web site I once visited which indicates whether a property is on a flood plain, or if there is a phone mast or other salient features nearby. Does anyone know what the web site is called?

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Have a look at

D.

Reply to
Terry D

Mike Mitchell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The Environment Agency is good for flood information. Try

put your postcode into the box at the bottom of the page.

Boris

Reply to
Boris

This one may be the one you mean, it has the flood and landfill data:

Lee

by town then zoom right in to see the locations, it includes all of them, not just the masts, so you get to see the ones in McDonalds frontages, petrol station price towers etc. Just had another go with it, looks like they have taken off the address details, but the map is still pretty detailed.

Reply to
Toby

250m of a river flood plain. We are about 500m from a river but the river is about 100m lower... So look at the contors on the OS map snippet they show for the location given by the Post Code and where the property actually is. The opposite to our situation could just as easyly be true.

The "area report" is also obviously geared to densly populated urban areas. Apparently we have no Amenities or Schools. So the local Co-op, Police & Fire Stations, Cottage Hospital, two Primary and one Secondary school, all less than 3 miles away, aren't picked up. Large pinch of salt required I feel.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cheers, Toby.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

And most of Scotland does not exist according to them! A large amount of salt required. John B

snip

Yeah, I'd heard that, but I suspect that's a limitation of all the "free" services, necessary generalizations.

It's fairly accurate for here, but this is an urban location.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

In message , Boris writes

I think he means the insurance company which did an extensive survey and made the results available a few months ago

Reply to
raden

Don't you want a phone mast nearby then? If you've got a phone mast nearby and you use a mobile you'll actually be exposed to LESS non ionising radiation than if the nearest mast was miles away.

Reply to
hudsterou

Quite. A local mother and neighbour heard I was well known in mobile telecomms and asked me to support their campaign to have a phone mast removed from their school.

So as to keep the peace, I agreed to go and see it just before lunchtime even though I was quite sure it would be installed safely, which it was. Soon after hundreds of kids appeared, at least a quarter of them with phones to ear or texting rapidly. Pointed her at real cause for concern.

Reply to
G&M

I don't use a mobile. My mobile is for the duration of my house move only and only for incoming calls when I'm not at home. As soon as I have moved, my mobile is going to be donated to the steamroller club. I hate mobiles.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

If you wish to be bombarded with unnecessary radiation, feel free. But not I, said the fly.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Well obviously not having a mobile removes the prime source of radiation. Unfortunately the second, third and fourth sources of radiation most of us encounter are a little harder to control, be they the Sun, Earth and Universe. (or Earth, Sun and Universe if you live in Cornwall)

Reply to
G&M

So you reckon the sun is unnecessary, do you!

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

In article , Mike Mitchell writes

tony sayer

Nope - but with a phone to your ear, the phone just outdoes the incident radiation on your body once you've allowed for an average 12 hours of night. Of course you don't phone 24 hours a day (though Italian taxi drivers get close) but we're getting into semantic then.

Anyway, radiation from the Earth is the most dangerous so keep well clear of granite.

Reply to
G&M

I don't even phone 1 minute a day. I just play back any message received because my landline was engaged. I even got BT's free 1571 service so as to depend on the mobile even less.

And phone masts.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Make yourself a foil hat. I am sure it will help.

Reply to
Bob Eager