What is this device?

owners/keepers of cats /do/ have a duty to take reasonable care to ensure that their animals do not injure people or damage property.

What they don't have is liability if their cat tresspases on another's land.

Reply to
Robin

Since god or nature cannot possibly pay up, then yeah, obviously. But if it's due to a person doing something wrong, then of course they should pay.

No it isn't. I'm at fault for having a tree that is too tall for being that close to her house.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nope. My cat could go mental and scratch you. I didn't know this was going to happen so am not at fault. If it does things like that repeatedly, then perhaps I could be required to stop it happening again. If it was a dog, I should have had it on a lead. But cats don't live on leads, they go where they please.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But not if a strong wind brought down the tree, the person whose tree it is is not at fault normally.

Legally that is just plain wrong.

Reply to
Jake56

As I said below, I could have kept it trimmed. Very easy to tell if it's high enough to hit a property.

Cut and paste. You that Aussie nut?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

on 6/28/2020, Jake56 supposed :

Only if she has had a lawyer write a request that he take down a dangerous tree does she have a leg to stand on.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Surely I'm being totally and utterly negligent in allowing my property to be likely to damage hers? It's like parking my car at the top of a hill, facing towards somebody's house, and having a shitty handbrake. If the car hits the house, it was my fault!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Does not compute. With 2 acres, you'd be way more than 30m away. 2 acres is huge.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Maybe he brought it over?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But you arent legally responsible for the damage that it does in a big storm if you don't. And in fact plenty of jurisdictions don't allow you to trim trees like that.

But impossible to predict what might damage outside your own property if bits come off in a big storm and that is much more likely to happen than the entire tree falling over.

Reply to
Jake56

She doesn't even if she had done that and it doesn't have to be written by a lawyer either.

Reply to
Jake56

Legally, no. Same with your house and other stuff too.

Legally it isnt the same at all.

Reply to
Jake56

An acre is 220 yards x 22 yards (at least that's how I remember it), thus it would be quite easy to be 30 yards from a neighbour. OK, it could be 70yds x 70yds but even then you can't be all that far from the edge.

Reply to
Chris Green

It was 2 acres quoted. That's 34 times the land I've got. And I'm 20 metres from my neighbour. Most people put their house in the middle of the land. Most people don't have long thin strips of land.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Your problem.

Your problem.

< Most people put their house in the middle of the land.

Most don't with the larger blocks.

Irrelevant.

Reply to
Jake56

So even a perfectly square 2 acres is less than 100 yards by 100 yards. Exactly in the middle of that puts you only 50 yards from the edge. Who has a perfectly square 2 acres and who puts their house exactly in the middle?

We have a 9 acre plot, we're closer than 50 yards to a couple of houses.

Reply to
Chris Green

It's that Rod Speed moron, nymshifting. He does it every time I killfile him. I guess I'm the only one who talks to him.

I won't see any replies to this as jakr56 is now killfiled too. Watch this, it'll change to another name in a minute.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Double that as the neighbour has the same gap.

Plots tend to be squarish.

Most houses are fairly near the middle. Why would you want to be close to a neighbour's house?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

A yard is pretty much a metre.

Bloody hell, are you a millionaire?

Why are you doing that weird American thing of using smaller denominations? Why use feet when you could use a smaller number of yards? Why do Americans say they weigh 140 pounds instead of 10 stone? Why don't you just go for it and list the sizes in inches?

You know you're well off when you have quadrants.

I misread that as "is much fatter".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nope, far more are rectangular.

Wrong. Few have the same sized front yards as backyards, for a reason.

You don't have any choice with the smaller blocks.

Reply to
invalid unparseable