What is the name for?

Ours here in the US is vaguely like that - three rooms upstairs with low ceilings, but the whole portion of the roof above those rooms is a much shallower pitch so that the ceilings are flat; the outer two rooms have built-in closets adjacent to the end walls though, and inside those the ceilings and roof above follow the steeper roof angle.

It's rather nice as it's still a big floor, but it's cheaper for tax purposes than a house that had an upper floor with the same footprint as the lower (puzzling, but I wasn't going to argue with the assessor when they came round :-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I don't know but my house has a curve where the eaves are which is I suspect what you mean. My house has no cavity walls either. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think Dormer is more traditionally used these days for added rooms in the loft space. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mine is not a bungalow though this is the upstairs floor. Did not actually know it had a name as such. Another weird one is where a box room has part of its end wall sloped to accommodate the stairs underneath. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Unless you want to tile the ceiling or the wall of course, then its a pain, As mine is actually curved nobody makes curved tiles!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Dunno, my grandparents' bungalow was like that, but given the difference between 2 storey and 1.5 storey houses, perhaps it should be called a

0.9 storey bungalow or 1.9 storey house?
Reply to
Andy Burns

Sounds like you would like a Barratt home then:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Dormer is the window, not the whole floor

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I live in a Victorian era farmhouse. During conversion, the Architect speak for the upper rooms was *included attic*.

I have tried Googling this without success:-(

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb