What HP

In a typical front loader the motor has 6 wires. 2 are for tacho and can be ignored. 2 are armature, 2 are stator. Connect these 2 windings in series and run the motor off a transformer with a few tappings on for different speeds. Last time I ran one I think it was on about 40v for low speed use, so probably would take mains directly, as long as the 2 winds are in series.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I don't think it'd work. The main point of using a lathe is to ensure that your drill bit is parallel to the shaft. I don't see how you'd achieve this with sufficient accuracy without a lathe.

Reply to
Grunff

Until recently, I had a couple of commercially built high speed bench drills that used Hoover washing machine motors. I think they were 1/8 HP. The drive was by 1/4" round leather sewing machine belts, so they certainly were not very powerful.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Controlling them is not simple. Uncontrolled and with no load, they will spin fast enough for the armature to come to pieces (i.e. explode at those speeds). They are highly optimised for just what they were designed for.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This is not at all safe. They must not be run without speed control and with no load as they can way exceed the safe operating speed of the armature, and turn into a bomb as the thing flies to pieces.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think this may be a misunderstanding or something similar. Your bomb scenario occurs if the motor is driven so hard that it runs full tilt on full load, then that load is removed. The speed I was running mine at was way way below that.

Series wound motors dont have no speed limit, speed is still limited by what you feed them. The issue with series wound is that you _can_ run them under such conditions that unloading them would become dangerous. With a router you would never run them under such conditions.

I'd make a vague estimate that it was doing perhaps 2,000 rpm on 40v with no load, so that one would be fine offload on mains.

Washing machine controllers run them in parallel wound mode off mains, using triac pahse chopping for speed control. When you put them in series mode the required drive V increases and the need for electronics disappears. I certainly wouldnt connect one to mains when wired parallel - and with an unknown motor I'd check its no load speed was acceptable in series mode before giving it full mains.

Night

NT

Reply to
meow2222