What best for sealing pipe insulation?

You know, the long round foam stuff with a slot along one edge, what kind of take be best for the long term sealing of the slot and end joins?

Thanks

Reply to
Jack

Is this any good to you Jack ?

BigWallop

In article , Jack writes

Climaflex do clips to hold the edges together and they are easy to apply, but they are overpriced and I couldn't help feeling that gaps would open up with time. I used a few of the clips (about 3/m) and taped the joints with high quality duct tape. The tape I have used in the past appeared to have a thermoset adhesive which will not slip or loosen with time/heat. The surface of your insulation should be cool anyway, or it's not doing it's job :-).

btw, I don't class 'duck' tape (worst I have ever used) or other shed stuff as high quality, chose one from a back street plumbers' merchant or other quality source. I'd suggest BES, but they now charge postage on small orders :-/

HTH

Reply to
fred

fred wrote in news:7N9+$HAOPFW$ snipped-for-privacy@y.z:

I guess that's the who purpose of Duct tape, rahter than duck tape, gaffer tape, etc etc ;) Will check out what the local plumbers merchant has to offer.

Thanks

Reply to
Jack

Yeah, that's a cool idea. I still had to use the tape tho' as I was using plastic pipe & I wanted to keep it all together on the bends.

Reply to
fred

I avoid splitting it whenever possible by threading it onto the pipe before connecting both ends up. If you are soldering the ends, then you will end up having to leave a gap which you fill afterwards, but I do this by inserting a short split piece somewhere on a straight run, and sliding the rest along so there aren't split pieces on bends or even at the ends of runs.

I doubt any tape will last anywhere near the lifetime of the pipework.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Jack wrote in news:Xns93EC8B5E09467neverinamillioncom@127.0.0.1:

I don't know if I'm breaking any rules, but I use that garden wire that comes on a reel with cutter and just twists together.

Easy to fix, easy and clean ti disembrangle, and dirt cheap, specially at Poundstretcher

mike r

Reply to
mike ring