wetroom in flat

We're looking into getting our bathroom refitted in our small flat and I'm seduced by the idea of a wetroom. Good idea or bad idea?

Reply to
neil leslie

It depends on how water tight you make it really. The last thing you want is a wet room that wets everyone, and everything, else in other flats when it's used. So, I think, if you're in a tenement block with strange people below you, a wet room could be a bad idea. If, on the other hand, you have no-one below your flat, and your flat has easy access to good drainage systems below the floors, then go for a wet room.

Reply to
BigWallop

Personally, I'm a hater of wet rooms. This is particularly the case when the toilet is colocated. Wet rooms just turn into quagmires. When going to the toilet, the floor is so cold and wet that you wouldn't go in without shoes on, which adds mud to the equation.

Some people swear by them, but I hate them, even in hot climates. The few I've used have mostly been in Australia, so it isn't just a climate thing.

They would work better with underfloor heating to remove the water.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've been contemplating a wet-room.

I came to the conclusion fairly early on that the only way it'd be nice would be to have lots of insulation, and plenty of heating, so it's seperately constantly heated to maybe 30C, when you walk in, and plenty of air exchange through a heat exchanger to keep it nice and dry when not having a shower. So, all the walls/floor/... are at 25C +.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

That's a Sauna, not a wet room. :-) LOL Great idea though. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

I hate the things - mainly because they remind me of chain hotels. But I'd do one in a small flat. I don't _like_ them, but they're an efficient use of a small space.

It would have underfloor heating too - especially if the flat was electric heat anyway.

I haven't built one yet, but from experience with shower cubicles, avoid all timber and plywood and get yourself some properly waterproof Versapanel and a disposable circular saw (with suitable fine blade) to cut it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What exactly is a "wet room"?????????

Reply to
tony sayer

It's a room full of cold muddy puddles that you wade through to get to the toilet.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

OK, what did the op mean when he said he was thinking about one? I imagine it wasn't what you described.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

A shiny wonderland of tile, easily cleaned, and spotlessly hygenic, in which beautiful people take showers, and don't even need to clean up afterwards.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

And then put your fingers through the damp toilet paper while you're "doing the paperwork" afterwards :-)

Reply to
keith

Why not call it a shower room then?

And do you have to be beautiful? Is the op beautiful I wonder?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, I've realised what they are now, modern caravans have them.

When we moved into this house in 1964 we considered tiling and tilting the floor and incorporating a drain in the bathroom but we never got round to it.I'm pleased because I do like to soak in the bath. Also, when the children were around (and even now) the bathroom is used for far more than washing (the lavatory is separate). We put clothes for washing in a chest in there, household cleaners, clean towels, the spind drier are kept there as well as the store of personal cleaning items in a cupboard.

A wet room wouldn't have worked for us, our bathroom is relatively large and we like it as a room where we can bathe, shower, wash ourselves and hand wash clothes, keep laundry, store towels, soap and the like ... and just sit or stand and look out of the window.

It's also been useful for washing the cat, keeping sick hens, cutting and styling hair, practising playing the violin and double bass, extracting honey, First Aid and many more things I've forgotten.

I hate underfloor heating. It's one thing the Romans got wrong! Draws my feet summat awful ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Bad idea imho and a step backwards.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

It's like the complete bathroom becomes a comnbined shower/toilet/washbasin.

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Of which, most DIY schemes forget that the door also needs to be integrated as part of the wet area as well. I've seen many DIY wet rooms planned without consideration of how you actually get in and out, without causing flooding to the other rooms of the house.

Reply to
BigWallop

But for what purpose?

I don't even like the wc in the same place as the bath and - horror! - ourshower is overthe bath, we don't even have a separate cubicle ...

Are we reverting to OpenPlan? Shall we next have the kitchen, dining room and sitting room all in one big are so that you can't isolate smells and sounds and steam?

Sounds daft to me. I reckon it's a cunningly crafted plan to make money. From us. Or at least those who can't think for themselves.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh - there's a door?

Why?

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It's so the rooms look bigger when we get the 600mm of wall insulation in place for when we sell the houses (made up to the latest part L).

Reply to
<me9

I'm not being confrontational, honestly, but how will a wetroom make the rooms look bigger?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher