WetNfiX

i have a great problem with rawlplugs not "biting" in my very crumbly cinder-block walls.

i have come across something called wetnfix and wondered do these work?

if anyone has used them i'd appreciate your feedback. i'm a bit loathed to spend money on something that doesn't improve the situation.

harry (mr)

Reply to
Mr Harry

Not tried those yet. Other effective methods are

  1. drill oversize, fill, let dry and drill/plug as normal
  2. use resin fixing

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Tja! Es lauft ganz gut.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They're not bad - I've used them once or twice. I keep then in my rawlplug box for use in situations where I reckoned a rawlplug would work OK, but then find it hasn't! Does depend on how crappy your walls are though - if they're really bad, these things won't work miracles, and you'd be better off with a more rigourous method like a resin-based system.

But anbyway, they only cost a quid or so from B&Q or Wickes: hardly going to break the bank if they don't grip well enough!!

David

Reply to
Lobster

=A33.50 for 10

Reply to
Mr Harry

Fill with polyfilla or cement?

Reply to
Mr Harry

Walls are such that maybe one out of four rawl plugs hits a soft spot.

harry

Reply to
Mr Harry

Reminds me of the stuff Rawlplug used to sell years ago. Was it asbestos fibre based? You spat on it & bunged it in the hole.

Most Fischer stuff does what it says on the tin.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes, asbestos. Very good stuff too. Been holding up my bookshelves for the past 21 years.

Reply to
djc

Get some foam glue and just bang a few nails in to keep the batton in place. Mark the wall level or plumb, run the glue along the line, put the baton in place and nail it home. The nails should stop the glue from pushing it off.

When the foam has set, cut the excess off with a sharp blade. If you are bothered about markng the wood use some tape to protect it and go sparingly with the glue. You really don't need much.

Try some in an out of the way place first.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Fill with car body filler and drill a new hole 5 minutes later

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Interestingly Wet'n'Fix didnt start life as a Fischer Product... it was the creation of "Monarch International" an odd collection of an IT Consultant, a Prosthetics expert and a Wine purchaser for a large chain. Nice guys though.

Like most one-product startups they struggled to get traction until Fischer negotiated to rebrand the product. Once Fischer did have the rights they didnt do much with it for a ling time. It looked like they were burying the product until Monarch went bust or decided not to play anymore.

I've not spoken to them in a a couple of years, but it does seem like things are picking up for them, but then they have been plugging away for 7~8 years.

For the record, they do work very well - which is probably why the guys have stayed the course - when you have a product that works well that you can believe in, it does keep you focussed...

Reply to
Chris Styles

There's an asbestos-free version now called 'plug and repair' -

Andy Wade

Update:

Bought some from Wickes (=A32.99 for 20 iirc) and initial results seem promising. They seem to do exactly what it says on the packet. Time will tell how they perform over time.

harry

Reply to
Mr Harry

Yup have used them - alot! I have an old Victorian house and is th bane of my life!

-- Paul F

Reply to
Paul F