Well OT: Strength of vodka

Gin used to be 40%. Then in the 90s, there was an EU ruling that anything with not less than 37.5% alcohol could be called gin. Almost the day after all gins became .... wait for it ... 37.5% !

When I was in Scotland, went to one pub which had a "guest scotch" of the week. I had never ever seen or heard of this brand, so I tried a shot. Damn near killed me, I hadn't realised it was 46% !

I vaguely recall seeing a rum in Morrisons which was 56% abv.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I've had 60% whisky It really does need water unless you are playing macho crap.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite. If you actually want to taste the whisky, rather than zap the taste buds.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Many christmases ago, I was round a friends house, and his Polish neighbours came round with a bottle of (illegally, I suspect) imported "rectified spirits" which they offered me.

Have you ever felt your throat melt ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Is that stuff even meant to be drunk that way? The other very strong things I've seen (American "Everclear" & German "Gartenmeister" at

95%, & I think there's something similar in Italy) are labelled for "making home cordials" & similar purposes involving dilution.
Reply to
Adam Funk

Ah well, that explains it.

I've tasted --- in a loose sense of the word --- Bacardi 151, which is

75.5% (American "proof" is twice the %).
Reply to
Adam Funk

Just as a point of principle, I have always refused to buy gin that's less than 40% alcohol. Why subsidise a company perpetrating a con?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

'highland water' is often just a handful of degrees C away from ice.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I might have got my figures wrong there, but 46% is about 92proof, 37% is 74proof - doesn't sound too far out

Reply to
geoff

Jethro_uk :

Indeed, which is why it's good to pour cask strength from the bottle into the glass and let it down to "normal" strength immediately before consumption.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Never tried Stroh rum then?

80% (160proof) alcohol

Tastes horrible and "wooshes" through the mouth if you put the merest drop on your tongue

Put it on an xmas pud once - almost set the house on fire

Reply to
geoff

Yes - you have no chance of appreciating the flavours at that concentration

Reply to
geoff

In message , John writes

Yes but not marked "window licker - beware"

How the f*ck do you think you dilute vodka other than adding water

d*****ad

Reply to
geoff

BTDT.

I then discovered there are also Stroh petrol stations, and I wonder if there was more in common than just the name.

Reply to
Clive George

That's what it's there for, innit? Flambe-ing, they call it, doesn't work

*properly* unless you got lots of Stroh Rum, or that Captain Morgan stuff. And it's still weaker than what the old French polishers used on the piano -- water-free ethanol, and they'd drink it, and old-timer told me.

And it's for making "Jagatee" (which is a hot sweet herbal tea with "a bit" of alcohol, and you can't get enough alcohol into it without resorting to 80% spirits). And "Rumtopf", which is fruit soaked in rum, and it needs the 80% so it keeps after the dilution of the fruit juices.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Dunno about Morrisons but Australian Bundaberg Rum (Bundy) is available in a O.P version at 57.7% Unfortunately (in my opinion) it tastes more of alcohol than of rum and is only good for mixing so I won't buy it again. I still buy the bog standard 40% version though.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Satanic bunny?

Reply to
Clive George

You can get a similar effect adding sweeteners to some drinks (like overly acid ciders). With sweeteners, waiting a few days seems to help the flavours to blend.

So may be dilute and wait a bit?

Or even ferment your own weak vodka-like drink:

matthelliwell

Woods 100 is actually not bad. But you want to take _small_ sips.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Thomas - how could you, of all people, misspell that ?

What's the concoction called where you have a cone of sugar suspended above a pan full of wine - add Stroh and light the sugar which melts and drips into the wine ?

Feueurtopf?

Reply to
geoff