Welder MIG to TIG

I have a modern Mig welder which came with a stick option both with a standard euro connection to the machine which is also selectable + or _ Ground/torch.
Do any of you know if I can plug a TIG torch with standard euro connection into this, and where to buy a sensibly priced one?
Mike
On Mon, 04 Nov 2019 16:28:22 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

It won't start I'm afraid. TIGs require a high frequency at high voltage to initiate and their plasma-ion'flame' IIRC. MIGs don't have that facility.
--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

On 04/11/2019 16:33, Cursitor Doom wrote:

sale which I assumed is what I would get by attaching a TIG torch to my MIG.
Mike
On 04/11/2019 16:33, Cursitor Doom wrote:

They don't require HF start - although its a nice to have. Without it you have what they call "scratch start", where you strike the ark by lightly dragging the tungsten across the either the work (or better) a bit of scrap "lead in" stock.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 04/11/2019 18:03, John Rumm wrote:

Also need to lead out of the work unless the gas valve has a dwell after you break the arc.
AJH
Cursitor Doom wrote:

Scratch start (jump to about 15 minutes for the TIG part)
<
https://youtu.be/--1lSmtuyUg

https://youtu.be/--1lSmtuyUg

if you have a switchable + - earth probably will work but scratch start is horrible to use torch https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WP-Tig-Torch-Gun-Flexible-Head-W-Argon-Gas-Valved-Air-Cooled-Cable-Lift-Welding/123792899657
why do you want to use TIG anyway
-
On 04/11/2019 16:28, Muddymike wrote:

Yup you can, although you will need a TIG torch with built in valve to allow control of gas. Also you won't get any luxuries like foot pedal control of the current. You will also need to scratch start since you won't have HF start, and lastly no AC so you won't be able to TIG ali. You may also find sustaining a good arc is harder since some mig machines may have a lower open circuit voltage than would be ideal for TIG work.
ISTR this old tony did a demo of running TIG on a (very cheap) stick welding inverter.
Yup, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--1lSmtuyUg

--
Cheers,

John.
On 04/11/2019 18:08, John Rumm wrote:

Now that was useful.
Mike
On 04/11/2019 18:08, John Rumm wrote:

Yes I was going to suggest a stick inverter, like the one I picked up from Lidl for IIRC around £70.