Wear and tear insurance?

Is rodent wear and tear insurable on a property?

A squirrel has eaten part of a gutter, letting water in during a heavy storm. Internal decoration ruined, lounge needs repainting.

Broker has advised not to pursue a claim as likely it would be rejected by the insurance company due to wear & tear and lack of maintenance, hence no claim - or increased premiums if we even filled out an insurance company claim form :(

Do I need to install CCTV to monitor my gutters?

In the last year squirrels have

- eaten electrical cables including the shower 10mm

- torn up loft insulation

- eaten up through the bottom of a plastic water tank, causing a leak (thankfully we caught that in time)

I'm installing wire mesh at the moment.

A few years ago, some idiots replaced our end terrace pitched roof and created huge gaps that these critters are invading.

Should really sue them ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Pointless, they'll only squirrel their way out of it :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Allowing for the excess it probably isn't worth making a claim.

No but you need to discourage the squirrels from being there.

You have to stop them getting in ASAP. I've had them in the garage after my apples and they did a hell of a lot of damage to the roofing felt. I dread to think what they might do inside a household loft.

Chicken wire may not be good enough. Even the spot welded mesh that bird feeders are made of can be defeated (ie destroyed) by a well motivated squirrel. My eaves have vents made of I think steel (might be aluminium). They are annoyingly not quite completely mouse proof.

The odd one gets in about this time of year if the creepers are a bit too close to the eaves. Damn things can jump a long way!

Sort that out first as a priority. They usually only invade looking for food or failing that things to damage!

Reply to
Martin Brown

Dunno about your insurance situation, but a widow of my acquaintance who has a large woodland garden in which the trees are often damaged by squirrels (they strip the bark), uses a powerful air-rifle against them.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Hum, are these things still legal? I had one as a kid but you never seem to see them these days.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Jethro_uk

Still legal AFAIK.

This shows some really scary/small penis guns as well as a traditional BSA.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Noting

Especially with respect to gas powered.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

*self-contained gas powered* ie where the projectile and the propellant are in one item. Think of a traditional cartridge. Other forms of gas powered where the cylinder of gas is separate from the projectile are not covered by the legislation.
Reply to
Bev

Yup still legal without a FAC as long as the muzzle energy is <= 12 ft/lb (rifle) or <=6 ft/lb (pistol)

Reply to
John Rumm

If they are grey squirrels, you can legally shoot them.

Reply to
Rob H

Apparently they are, as a gardening friende told me I could use his to shoot the 'rats with bushy tails'

Reply to
Rob H

I see that somebody has already used the pun I was going to use. The problem is, how do you prove that the current damage is really unusual and has only just happened. I know somebody some years ago had a branch from a tree slightly overhanging a roof, and a squirrel fell and went through the tiles. Though the claim was paid, they made him get the branch cut back at his expense and it transpired the e stringers in the roof were all nearly petrified so he had to sell out for a new roof, in the end. Unfortunately houses do deteriorate, and there is not a lot you can do about it but patch them up until you need to spend a lot on them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its the deer that strip my bark and east all my flowers. Squirrels just eat all the nuts and fruit.

An air rifle is adequate to bring down a squirrel under about 30 meters.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, they are legal. You nee to find as proper gunshop though Bottom of Exning road, Newmarket.

https://earth.google.com/web/@52.2456179,0.40294957,30.83117294a,0d,60y,40.19745501h,85.39671373t,0r/data=CloaWBJSCiUweDg4MmFkMjFmOTFhYjliMDM6MHgzZDExZmE5NjUxZjI2NTYwGQbT1cLRBUZAIXIdPkT-3VPAKhdOZXdtYXJrZXQgSGVhbHRoIENlbnRyZRgBIAEiGgoWekVyU3c2endJUmRoQjBZZnBoa3MtURAC Next door to the Islamic centre :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most of the currently available rodent poisons don't work on squirrels. Warfarin does but nowadays requires a licence to get your hands on it.

Reply to
John J

Pointless, squirrels have neither money nor property to seize.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

What about ultrasonic emitters? I know they sell them for foxes.

Reply to
Scott

If you claim for your bit of plastic & can of paint, you'll pay back the overpriced payout in higher premium over several years, then keep paying higher. You'll lose. That is the point of it after all.

Reply to
Animal