WD40 Everything you wanted to know

But surely a "puffer" bottle of graphite grease/dust is better?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Especially as it doesn't contain graphite, how could it, seeing that graphite is a conductor but WD40 is designed to 'seal' electronics from water ingress....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

That's one of its problems when it's used on ignition systems, in the long term it undoes its good work by sticking leaky (electrically) gunge onto your ignition leads.

Reply to
usenet

I don't think WD40 contains graphite, youd see it if it did.

Some other 'freeing up' solutions used to contain graphite I think.

Reply to
usenet

As it is customary to not agree with IMM on this newsgroup, I am going to have to say that he is wrong.

According to

WD40 is a light lubricant.

I find it a very useful product, especially for 'light lubrication' as suggested in FAQ. such as hinges etc.

Just recently I used it for removing masking tape residue from my windows, and it did this very well. Obviously the solvents are very strong, so users should just be aware that it will potentially remove other lubricant that might be present.

Reply to
deckertim

Your statement should read:

"It's not a very good lubricant for many applications. You may get better results in many applications using a lubricant intended for the specific purpose".

To say it is not a lubricant at all is patently false.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

With an opinion on everything there is always the faint possibility the dIMM will get something right almost by accident but dIMM is the sort of moron who, when faced with a multiple choice exam paper in which a random response would collect 25% of the marks, would manage only 10% or less.

Reply to
Roger

to open account

Reply to
IMM

And forms sticky gum Use proper lubricants.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

And one that isn't in the list but I promise you all that it is indeed true. A friend of ours sprays a small amount on his knees and elbows, and has done so each and every day for at least 6 years. He reckons it works wonders for his aching joints.

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

Placebo effect.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

You consider that good use of English?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On 27 Jan 2005, Mary Fisher wrote

Sarcasm by dropping in colloquialisms is an old debating technique, so yes: I do.

(You're not over-blessed with sarcasm and irony detectors, I take it.)

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

"Mogweed" wrote | And one that isn't in the list but I promise you all that it is indeed | true. A friend of ours sprays a small amount on his knees and | elbows, and has done so each and every day for at least 6 years. | He reckons it works wonders for his aching joints.

I haven't checked the list so don't know if it's included, but this one was in Caterer and Hotelkeeper this week. If you spray WD40 on the lids of the cisterns in your toilets, it stops the surface being used for snorting lines of cocaine, as the cocaine disssolves in WD40.

The hint was intended for pub toilets but might be useful in the DIY milieu if you have really wild parties.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Mary Fisher" wrote | "Harvey Van Sickle" wrote | > Yeah, right... | You consider that good use of English?

It is proof that two positives make a negative.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hypothetically - say you'd had a party and done this, and several people had tried to use the cistern cover in the stated manner, how would you split the cocaine/wd40 into constituent parts?

Reply to
Peter Ramm

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:57:42 +0000, Peter Ramm strung together this:

Hmm, a low tech phishing technique, with hardware and no software! Might just be crazy enough to work.......

Reply to
Lurch

indeed true.

wonders for

Its possible it might act as a counterirritant. I would think there are safer conuterirritants though.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I have to agree with that, reluctantly. (IMM has not been one of my favourite posters here) but hold onto this thread.

I used to use a similar product in the aerospace industry and it was noted that the lubricating properties died out after about 24 to 40 hours after application

I also have to agree with this statement. It sums up the reputation that WD40 has generated, as being a lubricant. It does lubricate for a short time and then it dries out and there is nothing left. Its water displacement feature is its biggest asset.

I have never come across this before. After using it, after it dries out, it is as if you never used it in the first place.

I did once try using it to stop water getting into a tent I was trying to bed down for the night, but the leak in the roof just went bigger :-(

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I am the best poster here.