Way OT -> DVD recorders

Depends on many things. One example is NICAM sound. It will still be 'perfect' with obvious picture problems. Of course when it does 'go' it doesn't do so gracefully.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the favoured 'conversion' channel plan option for so-called 'digital switch-over,' at least three of the DTT muxes will move on to channels currently used for analogue. These channels already have international clearance for high power transmissions. The post-switch-over DTT power is likely to be -10 to -7dB relative to the current analogue power - i.e. something like 10dB (x10) up on current DTT levels.

Reply to
Andy Wade

True. But they also have and cause international interference during many months of the year and the French will not take kindly to us splatting them with digital TV interference as it will make their analogue service almost unwatchable whereas nowadays one can get by.

Reply to
Mike

"Mike" wrote in news:d1kkch$24d$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

I didn't realise there was an upside to this mess before, but it gives the Frogs grief for making most telly unwatchable I'm all for it

mike

Reply to
mike ring

during many

splatting them

Oh I see (or don't...), it's OK for the French to splat our TV but not for us to it to them ?!...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The French splat us with analogue which is bearable and we do the same to them. But if it turns into a game of digital splatting nobody will see anything.

Reply to
Mike

I would say avoid Goodmans and Philips recorders, they seem to be the cause of more whinging than anything else. Best buy in the DVD recorder only stakes seemed to be the Mico being sold by Sainsburys for £99. The recorders did get rave reviews in several of the geek websites/groups but beware if you want RGB input (provides best picture quality from Freeview/Satellite) then the Mico isn't for you, it only has S-VHS and composite input.

I'm not sure which HDD/DVD unit offers a good bang for the buck, Bush do a Freeview/HDD recorder for about £170 but it has no analogue input and no DVD recorder.

The Panasonic DVD recorders with 160GB HDD appear to be the mutts nuts at about £360 each.

Reply to
Steve Firth

recorder

Nah, recommend Philips, the DVDR610 @ around =A3180, the only downside being it doesn't have a 1hr/disc recording mode but I generally record for longer than that anyway so it's not an issue to me. I did read a few whinging complaints about the Philips but still bought it anyway and it's fine. You have to remember it's usually only the whingers who post their views.

I tried two cheaper models and both had to go back as they were crap (Liteon and Matsui). One obviously had serious firmware problems and kept locking up, the other had interference on the picture whenever the disc was spinning.

The discs are so cheap nowadays that you can afford to stock up on DVDRW, keep what you want and re-use any you don't.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq