Water softeners and accumulators

I have a "sealed" hot water system, so the hot water in my house is at mains pressure.

I am proposing to fit a water softener.

The mains pressure is maintained by a 500L accumulator. Am I right in assuming then that I *don't* need a high-flow-rate softener of the type normally specified for direct fed systems?

(E.g. I could use a Kinetico 2020C HE instead of a 2020C HF)

martinpalmer8

If it is fitted to the input side of the accumulator, can't see any problem.

Reply to
John Rumm

What is a 500 liter accumlator? A tank with air in it under pressure?

I used a fairly high flow unit..with 22mm pipe. Yes it slows things down a bit, no its not enough to bother me unless three people are showering simultaneously as another runs a bath...;-)

Not sure there is much to be saved on a low rate softener anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If on the output side, you still need the high flow. On the input side, using a high flow model will still probide better performance, but it is nowhere near as critical.

the same principle as the Kinetico (i.e. twin resin tank, mechanical metering), but costs less and only comes in a high flow version (although they sell low and high flow hose kits).

are similar to the Kinetico 2020C HF.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks, Christian. The spec looks good.

May I ask what type of salt you use with that one, please?

Reply to
martinpalmer8

Technically, you are supposed to use tablet salt, although I've been using granular as that is what I've got! It works fine, though, and I tested the hardness regularly after installation.

I will probably move to tablet salt once I decide on a regular supplier, as I believe it isn't much more expensive than granular, if at all.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I just picked up a 25Kg bag of tablets from our local "CostCo" for £5.39 Inc. VAT

Just got to get the softner now.

:¬)

Reply to
PeTe33