Water softeners and accumulators

I have a "sealed" hot water system, so the hot water in my house is at mains pressure.
I am proposing to fit a water softener.
The mains pressure is maintained by a 500L accumulator. Am I right in assuming then that I *don't* need a high-flow-rate softener of the type normally specified for direct fed systems?
(E.g. I could use a Kinetico 2020C HE instead of a 2020C HF) http://www.kinetico.co.uk/tech_page.htm
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If it is fitted to the input side of the accumulator, can't see any problem.
--
Cheers,

John.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

What is a 500 liter accumlator? A tank with air in it under pressure?

I used a fairly high flow unit..with 22mm pipe. Yes it slows things down a bit, no its not enough to bother me unless three people are showering simultaneously as another runs a bath...;-)
Not sure there is much to be saved on a low rate softener anyway.

If on the output side, you still need the high flow. On the input side, using a high flow model will still probide better performance, but it is nowhere near as critical.

I can recommend the model I purchased relatively recently. It operates on the same principle as the Kinetico (i.e. twin resin tank, mechanical metering), but costs less and only comes in a high flow version (although they sell low and high flow hose kits).
http://www.emwc.co.uk/Details.asp?ProductID
Specs are similar to the Kinetico 2020C HF.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Thanks, Christian. The spec looks good.
May I ask what type of salt you use with that one, please?

Technically, you are supposed to use tablet salt, although I've been using granular as that is what I've got! It works fine, though, and I tested the hardness regularly after installation.
I will probably move to tablet salt once I decide on a regular supplier, as I believe it isn't much more expensive than granular, if at all.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

I just picked up a 25Kg bag of tablets from our local "CostCo" for 5.39 Inc. VAT
Just got to get the softner now.
:)