Water Softeners

That's not quite true. Cardiovascular risk is cumulative anyway

The significance of that depends on the individual.

Even softened water would be classified as low or very low sodium content on a dietary basis.

If somebody has health issues for which sodium of under 1.5g per day is indicated, then they shouldn't be drinking tap water anyway, be it hard or soft, since hard water can contain appreciable amounts of sodium as well. At this point, the person should be drinking demineralised water anyway.

The whole thing also depends on the original hardness of the water. The harder it was to begin with, the more sodium is added in the softenening process.

Probably of more importance in terms of cardiovascular risk is not presence of sodium, but absence of magnesium.

In terms of overall risk to health from tap water, I would be more concerned about presence of organic chemicals, pesticides, nitrates, fluorides (as in fluorides being toxic) and so on far before sodium content.

That may be, but its not because of any significant health risk to most people from sodium in softened water.

I can quite appreciate that softened tap water doesn't taste very nice. For that matter, hard doesn't either and so I don't drink either of them. However to suggest a health risk for most people is fanciful.

Reply to
Andy Hall

|On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:00:20 +0000, Andy Hall |wrote: | |>Umm... no. | |Umm..yes. | |>There is more sodium in a slice of bread than several litres of |>softened water. | |It has a cumulative effect.

Salt/sodium is excreted in sweat at a very high rate, Things are only cumulative when there is no or a very low excretion method.

When I was In Aden (South Yemen), we often ended up with Heat Exhaustion, (low body salt levels). You drank a Coke and it immediately dripped off your back, with added salt. Made you feel terrible. The cure was to eat masses of salt tablets. Except for a few, who had to be casevaced to the UK.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Part of that may have been the almost step rise in blood glucose level from the sugary Coke followed by the almost as rapid downward plummet.

Having said that, electrolyte imbalance with fluid loss is a real problem.

Reply to
Andy Hall

^^^^^^^^^

Is this straight from Reader's Digest 'increase your word power' ?

Not in my computer dictionary, and I've never heard it before.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Comes from the same pseudo-military dictionary as FUBAR.

This one is not derived from casevace as one might think, but from "casevac" or cas-evac short for casualty evacuation.

It reminds me of a holiday in Scotland one year when I was a kid.

My mother looked at the sign above a woollens shop (Macewens in Pitlochry, I think it was), and thought that Mace-wen was a funny name for a shopkeeper.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not in the OED either. But let me compensate you with extispicy, an activity in which many experts are currently employed. Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

|In article , | Dave Fawthrop wrote: |> Except for a few, who had to be casevaced to the UK. | ^^^^^^^^^ | |Is this straight from Reader's Digest 'increase your word power' ? | |Not in my computer dictionary, and I've never heard it before.

CASualty EVACUation.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Perhaps you don't get out often enough? Is a 'computer dictionary' one that explains RAM, ROM, CPU et.al .. ? Or; is it your computer's dictionary that can't explain the etymology of [CasEvac] CASualty EVACuation? 'The unit evacuated two civilians' = two civilians 'walked out' with the unit's assistance. 'Two civilians were casevaced = two civilians were moved on stretchers (air/ambulance) ~ basically couldn't move without medical assistance.

HTH

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

No - simply an electronic version of Collins GEM. But not recent.

Ah - it's jargon? Is it in any dictionary yet?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It probably was in 1943.

Reply to
Andy Hall

|On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:37:05 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" | wrote: | |>In article , |> Brian Sharrock wrote: |>> Perhaps you don't get out often enough? |>> Is a 'computer dictionary' one that explains RAM, ROM, |>> CPU et.al .. ? |>

|>No - simply an electronic version of Collins GEM. But not recent. |>

|>> Or; is it your computer's dictionary that can't explain the |>> etymology of [CasEvac] CASualty EVACuation? |>> 'The unit evacuated two civilians' = two civilians 'walked out' with the |>> unit's assistance. |>> 'Two civilians were casevaced = two civilians were moved on stretchers |>> (air/ambulance) ~ basically couldn't move without medical assistance. |>

|>Ah - it's jargon? Is it in any dictionary yet? | |It probably was in 1943.

Also early 1960s

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

OK. I guess it had to be, considering the geography.

Reply to
Andy Hall