Water problem

The water coming into my house seems to be pulsing rather than flowing continuously. The cold water tap in the kitchen works fine, no spluttering or anything, but gently pulses. There is also a regular dull banging sound coming from any pipes directly connected to the mains, consistent with the pulsing of the water coming out of the kitchen tap. This noise, which sounds a bit like a heartbeat, remains constant regardless of what taps are running.

The next door neighbours don't seem to have this problem. Thames Water say there's been no disruption to the pipes in the area. Any thoughts as to what could be causing the irregular flow?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
harrisssment

Are all the pipes (particularly but not exclusively plastic ones) securely fastened down and have you avoid the use of any flexible connectors?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

| The water coming into my house seems to be pulsing rather than flowing | continuously. The cold water tap in the kitchen works fine, no | spluttering or anything, but gently pulses. There is also a regular | dull banging sound coming from any pipes directly connected to the | mains, consistent with the pulsing of the water coming out of the | kitchen tap. This noise, which sounds a bit like a heartbeat, remains | constant regardless of what taps are running. | | The next door neighbours don't seem to have this problem. Thames Water | say there's been no disruption to the pipes in the area. Any thoughts | as to what could be causing the irregular flow?

It is called "water hammer" when the water resonates (sloshes backwards and forwards) in the pipes sometimes one can hear it, and sounds quite alarming. I would not worry about it if it were mine. If you put your hand on the pipes, you should be able to feel the pipe moving slightly. Put a lot more plastic clips on anything which moves.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Could be the ball float valve in the water storage tank (if you've got one) surging & turning the water on & off. When it happens, tie the float valve arm up & see if it then stops.

Reply to
Aidan