Water pressure seems too high

The toilet cistern is continually filling up with water and overflowing leading to a constant stream of water out of the overflow pipe. Also the water tank upstairs is un-necessarily filling up with water. Is this a problem with the water pressure, and if so, has anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this? There is also loud noises in the water pipes which sound loudest in the kitchen, I don't know whether this could be a seperate problem. Can anybody help?

Reply to
Lee

I'd suggest (though I may not be correct) that your toilet cistern valve has failed, has a bit of debris lodged in it, or that the float has come adrift. Turn the mains c*ck off, and take the top off the cistern and have a look (if you omit to turn the mains c*ck off, it's possible you'll get water everywhere if it's messily filling).

The water tank is probably filling constantly cos your cistern is always using water from it - or do you have water coming out the water tank overflow too?

Loud noises in pipes (whooshing) can be indicative that in fairly high pressure areas you have a constant flow (I get this if I'm running a bath, for instance).

I suspect the root of your trouble is the fact that the cistern isn't shutting off, and if you sort that (replacing valve, re-attaching/adjusting float, clearing debris stuck in valve etc) then your other two 'problems' will magically disappear.

Velvet

Reply to
Velvet