Water pressure

Hi, My hot and cistern fed cold water pressure is really poor and showers fed from this barely work.

I had a poke around in the loft and noticed the cold tank sat on chipboard on the ceiling joists. So from a shower point of view I have about 18" head. Would it be a good idea to get a load of 6x2 and raise the tank, extending the copper. I have room to raise it 5ft nearly and there is a supporting wall nearby that I can tie into. Its a big tank and must weigh a ton.

If I remember my school physics, doing that will increase pressure but are there any other implications? For example, is the hot water cylinder still OK? Will it unveal a load of dry joints in my system? Thanks

Reply to
Graham

Raising the tank *will* increase the pressure - but not by enough to induce leaks in your hot tank and pipework. [Incidentally, dry joints are what you want! - they are only bad in electrical/electronic circuits.]

You may *still* not get an adequate flow from your shower, though. A better solution would be to install a shower pump in the hot and cold feeds to the shower - triggered by a flow switch so that, as soon as you get *some* flow due to gravity, the pump kicks in and gives you a half-way decent shower. [You could also use the pump to fill the bath a bit faster if you have common feeds to the bath and shower, and install the pump before the split].

Make sure that you have an adequately sized feed pipe from the cold tank down into the bottom of the hot cylinder. This should be at least 22mm - preferably 28mm.

Reply to
Set Square

It will certainly increase the pressure and flow rate. However, it probably will be insufficient to make it acceptable. You might wish to consider using a pump instead. Probably less work to install as well. Pumps start from around 99 quid.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I'd say do both, raise tank and fit pump, with 28mm piping. Unless the input side of the pump gets enough flow, there is a tendency to suck air into the system from the hot tank vent tube.

regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

terminology: cold water storage "tank" hot water storage "cylinder"

Installing Surrey flange on the cylinders draw-off, will prevent air being sucked in.

Reply to
IMM

6 ft of head with careful pipework and preferably 22mm in diameter will give a pretty decent shower.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

Not always, you can get cavitation effects and that's with both an Essex and a Surrey flange! Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol