Water pipes go BANG!

Whenever I turn off any tap (H or C) in my house, there is an almighty bang as the water shuts off unless I do it v-e-r-y slowly indeed. Is this known as 'water hammer', or is that just the 'juddering' sound some folk experience?

I've been googling about this here, but am nor sure how to cure this easily? I don't want to close the stop c*ck or any in-line valves to reduce the pressure, as it's really not that great anyway (and I have a combi feeding the shower - the whole place has mains pressure water, no H or C tanks).

Is an 'arrestor' what I need, or is that just for juddering pipes? If this would do the trick, does it matter whereabouts it is fitted in the system?

Thanks

Reply to
Dave P

Is it not just a pipe that isnt fastened securely to a wall and the pressure increase when turning off a tap makes it bang against the wall?

That's what I'd suspect - find the loose pipe and fix it securely, or wrap it in insulation so it bangs more gently :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

If your water pressure is currently not that great and you get banging even from standard taps/mixers, then I'd check how well the pipes have been secured rather than just assume it is just water hammer.

Reply to
BitsNBobs

Well I agree it might be that, but if it is, it's impossible to isolate...trouble is it could be anywhere under the first floor, which has just had a new carpet laid professionally; or could be within an area now boxed in by plasterboard. So hopefully not!

Would the arrestor solution work in this scenario, by stopping the pipes moving? Would seem logical to me...

Dave

Reply to
Dave P

Have someone turn on and off a tap. Place your ear against a wall. Repeat until it's loudest.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You can try using a length of dowel or similar as a "stethoscope" to make it a bit easier.

Reply to
Rob Morley