Water meter connectors

Today's project has been moving my water meter 6" left. It was mostly a success, and what was a system with about 9 15mm elbows and a complete frigging mess, now has just three, all in 22mm.

The questions is - what are the connectors used to join the pipe to the meter? If I has to describe them, I'd say they were an end-feed 15mm to

3/4" tap connector, but with two key differences

a) They simply consisted of a 15mm end feed joint, connecting to a flat plate. It didn't have the bit in the middle, shown in

is effectively a short length of 15mm pipe.

b) They also terminated in just a flat plate, with no protruding circular section. That was crucial, because the replacement 22x3/4 tap connector that I tried to use wouldn't fit. I ended up desoldering the old fittings and cleaning them up.

So instead of

X XXX X XXXXX

XXXXX XXX X X

They look like

X XXXX

XXXX X

Any idea what these are called and where I could buy them, preferably in

22mm rather than 15mm, but not essential? I need one to remake a complex section of joints that has a tiny weep....

Ben

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

Hi,

Have a look at this site:

Something that may be handy is a water meter valve, at the bottom of this page:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Surely the plumbing, at least to the input of the water meter, is the responsibility of the water company? Were this not so, surely you could quite legally fit a tee-piece in the pipework before the meter, and ...... ;-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Certainly in some WA areas the water meter was fitted in the consumer's pipework under the sink, to avoid having to dig up the road. From the description, the OP's meter was like this.

Reply to
<me9

Nope, because it's on my land. They wouldn't fix it if it was broken (well, actually they might, because the meter is internal).

It would probably violate water regs to fit it, and would probably be fraud to use it...

Exactly. Never seen an outside meter round here (Cambridge).

Ben

Reply to
ben-g

Hi,

Something else that might work depending on pipework is a gas meter union or a large flexible. I'd still go with the combined union and valve though.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

.. >On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 14:50:19 -0800, Pete C .. >wrote: .. >

.. >>Hi, .. >>

.. >>Have a look at this site: .. >>

.. >>

.. >>

.. >>Something that may be handy is a water meter valve, at the bottom of .. >>this page: .. >>

.. >>

.. >>

.. >Surely the plumbing, at least to the input of the water meter, is the .. >responsibility of the water company? .. >Were this not so, surely you could quite legally fit a tee-piece in .. >the pipework before the meter, and ...... ;-)

Just after we had a meter fitted by our local water company, we installed a new kitchen. The guys who fitted it said they would move it free of charge when we got the new kitchen units if it was in the wrong position.. Come the day we realised it was in the wrong place, the WC said that we would have to pay for it to be moved by them; and if we got a plumber in to do it, they wanted a certificate to say it was done properly .. lol. So I moved it ........ and as far as the WC are concerned, we did not have to move it afterall. :-;

The T piece idea ...... well I was tempted to T off to the outside tap, but just could'nt do it ........ morally.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

My water meter is internal, fitted more or less 'beneath the kitchen sink'. I've just had the kitchen remodelled, and access to the meter is now, to say the least, quite restricted. Fortunately I have an outreader fitted to the meter so that it can be read from the 'comfort' of the back garden. Not that the WC (or their meter-reading contractors) ever remember this (after > a couple of years), so they keep leaving cards through the letterbox asking for readings.

Regarding internally fitted water meters, my contention is that by fitting the meter internally the water company implicitly assumes responsibility for all the feed pipe up to the meter - after all, if this pipe breaks it's the loser (revenue-wise).

Reply to
Frank Erskine