water leak

Outside toilet has a stop tap with a water meter above and is turned off

meter body is cracked due I think to frost damage

toilet was disconnected when meter was installed

There is a faint sound of running water in the room louder when ear to the meter

The leak may have been present for years

The pipe below the stop tap is copper

the floor is concrete

the house is ex council and probably 1930's

Question

How far down is the copper likely to go and what will it be connected to?

I suspect lead

I am hoping for a copper to lead compression fitting not far down and the leak there

do I feel lucky

nope

Reply to
TMC

Well here build 1939 its lead into the house and thenhalf way up a cupboard on the way to the first floor its copper where it is branched to the various bits of the house. All the houses are the same. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
Phil L

It will probably just be copper to lead, but soldered, not compression. The leak may just be below the surface of the concrete, it's my guess that the cement has attacked the copper - it's unlikely to be on the lead.

You'd probably be wise to wrap the new piece of copper in a few thicknesses of duck tape or similar before re-concreting, also, some lagging above ground might be an idea if the outhouse is subject to extreme temperatures.

Reply to
Phil L